Animation Voice Overs

January 5, 2006

If you read one of my recent postings about the kinds of voiceover jobs that are available on the market, you'll love this in-depth blog posting about animation voiceovers and character voiceovers.

The character voiceover market is one of the most popular and competitive fields where voiceovers are concerned. Voice actors provide voiceovers for animation on the Internet and offline including voiceovers for cartoon characters, video game characters, computer game character voiceovers, and even the voices of animated characters in film.

Characters can range from traditional beings such as animals and humans to inanimate objects (think CGI films like "Toy Story" or "Robots") such as trees, toasters, and pineapples.

If you think about it, celebrity voice impersonators are also character voice actors. Whenever people come to the site looking for a voice talent who sounds like Arnold Schwarzenegger, George W. Bush, or Elvis Presley, they expect that person to recreate the voice of the celebrity by performing a character voiceover. The same scenario applies if a Catherine Zeta Jones, Julia Roberts, or a Marilyn Monroe impression is in order.

One of the markets that is heavily making use of character / celebrity voiceover impersonators is the telecommunications industry. Telephone broadcasts may use character voices in them to help sell a product or service. Other companies are getting into the game by offering custom recorded character voiceovers for special occasions like Valentines Day and birthdays. Just before Christmas, a company came to InteractiveVoices to find Valentines Voiceovers to use for that exact purpose. Check out some animation voice talent and video game voiceover talents at Voices.com.

When selecting a voiceover talent to record character voiceovers, consider the following:

• Does this talent match my overall vision of the character(s)?
  • Can they perform multiple roles?
  • Are they easily directable?
  • How many other voice acting roles have they performed?

If a talent wants to develop their voice acting skills, I know of someone that is very qualified where character voice acting is concerned. David Sobolov is a professional voiceover talent that has recorded for the Spider Man video games, television cartoons, and character voices for a host of high profile companies. Not only is David an authority on animation and character voiceovers, he also coaches and oversees the recording of animation voiceover demos and voiceover work.

Well, that's all for this afternoon :)

Take care,

Related Topics: animation, Apple, cartoons, Celebrity, Christmas, industry, Spider Man, videogames

Comments

I LOVE SOUNDS

• LAKILYN WEEKS
    • July 3, 2008 4:34 AM

Hey,

My dad is looking into voice animation he does a really good goofy and mickey donald duck and patrick !!! Any ideas?

• janet
      • July 22, 2008 10:07 PM

My little animation voice-over video with baby dinosaur robots instead of animated characters, seen on ABC Nightline:

(shameless plug :)

I would like to know how to get a job doing voice over work. I am confident in my abilities whether it is general voice overs and character voices. I know, though, that I could be very successful doing voices as cartoon characters. I live in the Boston and want to know where I could go for an audition, or if there are any agencies or numbers I could call for an audition. Thank you very much

• Ed Stokinger
          • November 15, 2010 5:25 PM

my husband can imitate over 70 different animated, and person impersonator. I would like for you to hear his work.

• Rhonda McDaniel
            • June 12, 2011 6:18 PM

I WOULD LIKE TO BE A VOICE IMPERSONATOR
              I DO ABOUT 120 DIFFERENT VOICES
              DISNEY CHARACTORS TO CHUCKY

I WOULD LIKE TO BE A VOICE IMPERSONATOR
                I DO ABOUT 120 DIFFERENT VOICES
                DISNEY CHARACTORS TO CHUCKY

I WOULD LIKE TO BE A VOICE IMPERSONATOR
                  I DO ABOUT 120 DIFFERENT VOICES
                  DISNEY CHARACTORS TO CHUCKY

Well I can sound like comedian kate williams,country man, a geek, an old woman

• antwan motley
                    • November 10, 2011 8:30 PM

I'm not going to tell you the voices I can do. I have been thinking about doing or trying to do voice overs. I wanted to know if there are tips you can give me on the subject. Like any legitimate websites that real producers check from time to time. I have a few mp3 done on a demo cd. I also wanted to know if you had any advise for getting over a bit of stage fright. I know I'm funny usually the life of the party but sometimes I have a problem with an occasional inward awkwardness!

• Jared Kurisko