By Stephanie Ciccarelli
February 13, 2006
Converting files to MP3 from a CD is not terribly difficult, but it helps to have a step by step guide.
At Voices.com, we developed a short tutorial on how to do this quickly and easily using your own computer. Here's some rudimentary info about MP3s and a guide to help you to create an MP3 file from an existing audio file.
Let's get into the step by step guide to converting to MP3 with Apple iTunes.
This information is particularly helpful to voice talents that only have a CD recording of their voice-over demos and need to upload their audio to the Internet at Voices.com.
Converting Audio into the MP3 Format
The universal standard audio file for delivery on the Internet is called MPEG-3 or more commonly known as MP3. You should make your voice-over demo available in MP3 format for easy distribution to clients via email or for convenient download on your webpage.
The MP3 file should be encoded at the bit rate of between 128kbps (standard) to 160kbps (medium) to 320kbps (highest) for optimum quality yet maintaining a relatively small file size for delivery over the Internet.
We recommend that you use Quicktime Pro or Apple iTunes for creating digital audio and multimedia files.
If you are using Apple iTunes, follow these steps:
1. Import the CD into your iTunes player
2. Create a playlist for your recording(s)
3. Drag your recording(s) into the Playlist to keep it/them organized
4. Select the recording that you would like to convert to MP3
5. Click on "Advanced" in your iTunes menu bar
6. Select "Convert Selection to MP3"
7. Wait a couple seconds, and voila, an MP3 has been created!
8. Drag your audio to your desktop and name the MP3 file appropriately, i.e. jane_doe_commercials.mp3
9. Login to your InteractiveVoices account and click on your "Studio" tab
10. Upload your demo and give it a name, i.e. "Commercial Demo" to ensure success in one step :)
StephanieRelated Topics: Apple, how to
Join us for a free webinar on how localization can help expand the use of all your voice-over work for new markets, new services and reach new heights with your business!
Vox Daily offers a daily dose of voice acting news, articles, tutorials, interviews, intelligent conversation and business ideas for voice talent and voice actors.
Our feed & social options update you with special offers and news as it happens.