Union VS. Non-union

March 1, 2006

Which is better? Share your opinions!

Greetings,

The age old question... Should you join a union or remain a free agent?

Many professional talent endorse joining a union in order to get all of the career benefits that are available. Union work pays nearly twice as much money and provides retirement benefits and medical coverage that would not be available to non-unionized voice talents. Not only that, but some unions even act legally on a talents behalf should the need arise.

Although most career talent opt to go the union route, there are some very successful non-union talents. They may not receive the perks and benefits of the union, but they do save money on union initiation fees, dues, and often qualify to record more diverse and interesting work for smaller projects that pay non-union fees.

When it comes down to it, choose wisely depending on your personal circumstances. If you are only looking for a part-time job or intend to moonlight occasionally, refraining from joining the union may be the best decision for you.

If you are in voice-overs for the long haul and are embracing a career in the voice acting field, the union is an attractive option that will help you meet your goals, particularly if you have a family to provide for.

Does anyone have comments for or against either of these options?

Best,

Related Topics: Non-Union

Comments

I am writing a paper for school on union vs non-union, if you have any information that you could send me on both sides I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

• Tammy Morse
    • March 13, 2007 2:55 PM

When unions were first formed they had a very positive impact in protecting worker's rights. Now, unions have actually turned into "cash cows" and have really hurt the majority of Americans. Higher wages means higher prices. I believe that is one reason the auto industry is in trouble today and why so many manufacturing jobs have disappeared. Unions are known for intimidation tactics and I truly believe that taking away employees right to vote with a secret ballot will lead to very serious problems, including injuries or possible deaths of people who do not want to unionize.

• Sharon
      • November 3, 2008 3:33 PM

Posted by: Sharon November 3, 2008 3:33 PM

You have to be kidding me, this is not 1930 anymore. How about joining a union and seeing first hand how they operate. 99% of people against unions have never been in one. But know everything about them. How about all the good they have done for charitys and non-profit orginizations. Look at what just happened to the workers at the window factory, company just closes the doors and say's to bad tuff luck, guess what is happening now???

• Steve
        • December 10, 2008 3:36 AM

Unions are what are killing this country. They are soley based on employees emotions for the now. Ever wonder why so many factories have closed and head over seas, Union impact fees, they have crushed small America and the principles that this great country was founded upon.

• M H
          • October 12, 2009 10:05 AM

Unions you get training, benefits and good pay.

With non-union, they employer pays you maybe the same on the take home only, usually a lot less but guess what? They charge you out at the same rate as unions at least here in alaska.

You know the only thing that gives unions a bad name is non union switching over and showing that they know nothing...but it must be the unions fault!

Its all about continuing education as to where you never stop learning in a trade.

Unions are there to protect the worker. Period. Yeah there are some good non union workers out there but the majority are not. Yeah I get paid a lot because I go to training classes all the time, read code, books, study, practice on my own, go to school and make myself familiar with a product and I do things right the first time instead of 5 times. That is why Union makes the bucks.

If you've had a bad experience with a union, its probably a few members or a crap state, I surround myself by quality craftsmen instead of scabs.

• Josh
            • May 5, 2010 8:31 PM

The thing I don't like about unions is the cliques that they form!!!! I have been in one and it sucks!!! Now my fiance who has been off of work for a year now has tried to get into a drivers union and they won't let him!!!! But we know a man who was in the Laborers Union and received paid training to switch to the Drivers Union! He had no experience driving a truck! My guy has been a driver for 5 years now and the Drivers Union wouldn't give him the time of day because he wasn't currently in a union! Also, he had previously been in a Drivers Unoin in Chicago and when he lost his job they did nothing for him! So, for all you who are in a Union I don't care about what you say about them being so good. The only reason you are there is because you knew someone!!!!

• Musiclady420
              • May 6, 2010 11:55 AM

I have actually been on both sides of the spade and I will tell you that the unions are a thing of the past. They are not for the worker "now" they are for the worker "1930" I was working at a hospital and I went on Vacation, when I got back they voted a union in. I had the "choice" to either join or opt out paying a fee. I opted out and they had me fired! They protect who? The lazy workers that dont normally do their job. I am a Certified Nurses Aide and I have worked with some pretty sh!tty aides. People you wouldn't even think of taking care of your dog let alone your loved ones, and unions protect these people. Once they are in they are in and there is NOTHING you can do. On the other hand, I worked in places that didn't have a union and everything went SOO much smoother. They lie when they tell you that they pay more and they demand more. Wal~mart's starting pay one in 2006 was (and this is in Michigan) $9.50 to start. that's above minimum wage. While Meijers across the street (same kind of store) started out at $7.50. Whenever there was a problem with the scheduling, you could take it up with your supervisor and get the problem straightened out, you can't do that if you're in a union. All the bargaining was up to them. Unions are nothing but money hungry liars! Their fees keep going up and they do NOTHING for you. So what if they helped out with a charity or two. Most of us do that anyway. They have to do something to keep their heads above water, otherwise they would drown themselves........does anyone have a boulder? I need to weigh something down! LMAO

• CNA132
                • June 25, 2010 1:35 AM

I was in an Ironworkers Union for 4 years before our wonderful government let the economy drop and all the work dried up. My personal opinion is that Unions like the Kroger “Union” don’t need to exist. It’s a company union and yes they will roll you over. However builders unions are here to make sure the buildings we put up don’t fall down on your head instead of a bunch of untrained uneducated yahoos slapping crap up like we are having now. Its true and I agree we are a dying breed and we probably won’t see unions too much longer. Let me tell you this though, I was making around 25$ an hour plus benefits and retirement, this was paid to me and my fellow union ironworkers because we made buildings, bridges, roads, etc that didn’t fall apart on you. Now when you say that unions are full of lazy people I say wake up, there are way more people who aren’t in the union who are just as lazy. Mc Donalds doesn’t have a union and I can’t go thru the drive thru without having to ask for a straw to drink my coke, now that’s lazy. It’s not like the job is hard or requires rocket science. Another thing, I’ll tell you why companies are going overseas, it’s because they pay workers there next to nothing and give them nothing and its hurting us and all people can do is blame the unions. Well everyone is in for a rude awakening when the unions are gone and it keeps happening. The unions stood for the people; it’s as simple as that. It’s not the union’s fault that we as Americans want to be lazy and have other countries to work for us. Look at anything made now days. Where does it come from? Taiwan, China, Japan, Mexico, Germany, Sweden, and where ever else you can think of. We need to get up off our lazy bums and stop sucking on the welfare of the government and start doing something before this country gets sold off… What would you do with 300 trillion dollars? That’s how big our deficit is and growing. Sooner or later we will be calling this country the United States of China. Wahoo yay communism! How about we put aside the stupid Republican/Democrat bull crap and get some conservative people, and I mean real conservative people, not the Republicans who call themselves conservative. Maybe then we can get back to what matters with us, US and not every other country that is starving for attention. They were here before the USA and I’m sure they will be just fine without us. It’s hard to be patriotic to a nation that is slowly selling its self out. Thank you and have a wonderful night…

P.S. Actual Unions Good! (Not Kroger unions) Non-unions well you’ll find out when the building falls down. Look up Non-union disasters.

• RS
                  • September 2, 2010 6:38 AM

Quality of work union or non-union is a non issue. There are good and bad workers in both. What we need to know is were and how do unions find there workers, who is acceptable and what do others who apply to a union but are not accepted do for a living? It seems anyone can join a union, qualified or not provided they force a non-union shop or workplace into a union. Again who hires the workers not accepted by the union? Were did most of the union employees receive there training, union or non-union? Do union employees hire and support only union companies for there personal projects and repairs or is this to expansive? Are union workers more successful then non-union workers? Should a union worker be allowed to work a non-union job for less money? Should a non-union company be allowed to hire a union worker? What happens when we have more government employees then other workers, were does this funding come from? What happens when North America becomes like the UK or the european union and looses all manufacturing including the auto industry? What happens when one state or province is financially stronger then others, does North America become many small first, second and third world countries? Who hires the people without a trade, should there be a non-trade-union? What future will our children and grand children have if we have no manufacturing jobs, should we have a union for the unemployed? The province of Quebec mostly union, why is there a large underground economy, are they hired by union workers? We worry about global warming, consider our children's future by keeping the wages reasonable, the manufacturing in North America. Jim V.

• Jim V.
                    • October 14, 2010 2:08 PM

I would like to leave a brief comment. People who belong to unions have better healthcare. The substantial part of that money comes from other union members, it is a part of our payment salary and is negotiated into our payment contract; most higher paid union members are skilled tradesmen and have gone through extensive apprenticeships (5 years in my case) to earn that higher wage; If it wasn't for unions the minimum wage would be a few bucks less than what it is today; If it weren't for unions the government would decide on working conditions, and not the people who do dangerous work and there would be no standards (OSHA). I have many more things to add, but said I would like to keep this brief in my 1st sentence. In closing not all of us union working are loads. We keep the economy as strong as possible by building plants and buildings for other people to work in. We are politically active and work the polls voluntarily (even though a lot of that political business is annoying) and we have live to lead in this diplomatically difficuly world.
                      Sorry it wasn't that short.

• Pat
                      • November 11, 2010 8:09 PM

unions dont back up there talk ive been in union local 21 out of chicago for the past 12 years and the company i work for uses non union subs on more than half their jobs so my boss doesnt have to pay benefits both locals have been told about what my boss is doing at least 5 times in past 7 years and nothing has changed me and my coworkers have been laid off since and the non union subs continue to do work acting as if they were union

• Anonymous
                        • January 18, 2011 5:54 PM

Response to this ridiculous statement.

Steve December 10, 2008 3:36 AM

First the comment states a year, 1930s, and suggests that violence from unions doesn't occur today as it did in the 30's. Walmart employees might disagree, as would all the Bond holders of GM stock, and employees of AIG.

Second, 99% of union opposition never belonged to a union? I belong to two of the biggest unions as do most of my associates and we all agree that if not for the intimidation from union leaders and union snitches we wouldn't be on the streets picketing with ACORN, Socialists, Commununists... at the Washington DC rally 2010.

When thousands of unionized companies go out of business because the owner just can't afford to keep paying ridiculous salaries and benefits you don't hear about them, but when a single private company goes out of business the unions make a big deal about, that one.

Bottom line unions were fine when people were abused in the 30's. due to lack of education Today however our population as a whole is very smart when it comes to business, we aren't as ignorant as the people of the past. But as unions sneak into the educational system we may be headed back to the "Stupid Days of Yesteryear"

• Dogma
                          • February 3, 2011 5:13 PM

Dogma, get a clue... the unions are more necessary now than ever. Corporate greed is the culprit. Companies such as Walmart (and companies that follow their business model) are to blame. Greed is destroying the middle class. It is immoral and unethical. Shipping jobs oversea to China to increase profits due to paying an average of .60 cph is the problem. Not the unions wanting a decent living wage and a little something to retire on... You claim the country as a whole is nore educated, I beg to differ. Without unions, good people can be fired anytime and for any reason. There are no protections, no job security nothing. At my plant a 22 year employee was fired for making too much money. The reason they lied about was performance (he was a porter). He was there every day, and did a damn good job. However he was also the highest paid employee in the building. What did they do after? Scabbed his work to a temp service.

Without the unions, we would have no 40 hour week, no holiday pay, sick time, or other benefits. At the rate this country is going, we will all be working for labor ready scabbing work while the greedy fatcats keep filling their pockets....

use your heads...

• soxfan
                            • February 12, 2011 6:45 PM

use your heads...

we dont now
                              thanks.

• Sparky
                              • February 28, 2011 6:46 PM

I have been on both non and union. When I woked union, the healthcare was very expensive almost 800 a month for just me and the deductables were rediculously high.I recieve No holiday or sick pay at the union shops I worked in, I am a HVAC technician by trade. I went to trade school and worked non union most of my life. Unions will keep going down the toilet as long as they are lap dogs for the democrats. the public sector unions are a joke in the high tax states, which is why those states are losing population. It also comes down tot he employers, I've seen bad shops in both union and non union, comes down to the company you work for.People will go to the best job offer union or non union, with less than 6% of private work force unionized, that # will keep going down with the terrable leadership in unions now.

• thekux
                                • March 10, 2011 11:46 PM

• thekux
                                  • March 11, 2011 8:29 AM

UNIONS STAND FOR A DESCENT WAGE .ALLU NON UNION GUYS DONT KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS DO U?

• Dom PACE
                                    • June 3, 2011 10:03 AM

I have been in a non union fire sprinkler fitting company for 3+ years now and i have never been bent over so much in my life. even after 3+ years i still get paid less then a first year sprinkler fitter that is in the union!! My benefits are only 80%( not too much of a concern) and I have never seen a dime of overtime pay even in a 50 hour work week. yet somehow they put overtime on our pay stubs and fudge the numbers around to make it look like they pay overtime so they don't get in trouble from the labour board or whoever. me and a few other employes are really quick when it comes to work and bust our ass and yet in return we get yelled at for not producing enough. we are currently on a big highrise that's about a 3 year project (22 story 600000 square feet) and you think on a job like that, one that's going to make the company a lot load of money when they only have 4-5 guys from our company working on it from start to finish, that they would have the kindness to supply us a water cooler for our 4-5 man crew on those 35-40+deg c hot humid days?? NO!! They say it would cost to much and that we need to buy it ourself. And they are so greedy that they only pay us once every 2 weeks!! Im tired of being screwed around a putting money into their boats while im running for them living pay check to pay check and just making bills ( seriously!!) A few of us employes managed to get together and get the union involved and after a year of our bosses trying to fight the union off in court, our bosses lost and we are now union. Because we just got switched into the union, nothing has changed yet like pay or hours. Any body been in the same situation or would have some input, it would be a great help because i have no idea whats going to happen and am currently in the dark with the other employes because our bosses are not saying anything because they are too mad at us.

• pipefitter
                                      • June 4, 2011 9:09 PM

Listen to you people saying we don't need unions NOW!! what!! Just because you have sick days and vacations now we should get rid of them! Are you soft! Go talk to an economist and ask them why Europe's labor movement is much stronger that our! There unions are stronger! They have way less jobs being shipped out Due to people sticking together and putting their foot down and saying NO. I have a family and bills and I helped build this company with my brothers sisters fathers and mothers and you can't take that away. I'm so sick of reading this crap about we not needing unions. People that say that are the ones who couldn't pass the basic aptitude test! Basic math! But let me break it down for the guy who started this thread - my father-father-in law and me are in the union. Living great and working hard for what we are paid. Others I know who are not in a union do drugs-drink all day and live in there moms basement. I will give you odd people who say there are a lot of lazy people in the union-downfall to a lot of big union shops is that they get a lot of guys who are always at the hall looking for work because perhaps they have made a bad name for themselves not working as hard as the rest. Until a big shop lands a big job and just needs bodies on the job to work with there regulars. Other than that-don't sell yourself short and allow anyone to try to get you to believe your not worth what your worth. Always demand the best for you and your family.

-Woody

• Woody
                                        • June 11, 2011 7:00 AM

You can bet that most or all the union bashers have never been in one, or know anything about them. Most of them drive imported cars, and love Wal-Mart

• Michael G Pollock
                                          • August 10, 2011 6:18 PM

To all you UNION haters & bashers. If it had not been for UNIONS you would not even have what you have now . You would be working 10-12 hrs a day , 7 days a week for pennies with no benefits. Do you have a good retirement ? No . Do you have good health benefits , like medical insurance , dental insurance , vision insurance , perscription drug insurance ? No . Are you provided training at no cost ? No . Is your work place a safe work place ? Probably not . So why are you so against UNIONS . Non union employers charge just as much as UNION employers the only difference is non union employers stick the extra money in their pockets where UNION employers have to share with employees due to the UNION. RETIRED 38 years in the elevator industry. Member of the INTERNATIONAL UNION OF ELEVATOR CONSTRUCTORS. So you UNION haters & bashers keep digging , scratching & taking what your employer gives you.

• Kervin
                                            • August 25, 2011 2:35 PM

"we now have 40 hour weeks, holiday pay, sick time, overtime, and benefits. you are correct we NEEDED unions.
                                              we dont now"......This is my favorite anti union comment

When we build a house we know exactly what we want but there has to be a starting point, we have to start somehwere, so we start with the foundation. After the foundation is set we build upon it. We build the rest of the house, the house is now complete. We now have exactly what we want. But what would happen if we were to take the foundation away? Hmm let me "use my head" to figure this out.... the house would crumble and fall to the ground and that very house that we built with our blood sweat and tears, that very house that we finally had the exact way we wanted it would be gone in an instant with no foundation.

Labor Unions are the foundation of America. Union workers earned and fought for "40 hour weeks, holiday pay, sick time, overtime, and benefits''. If we do away with our foundation, the labor unions, we do away with the exact things that we want, which are..... "40 hour weeks, holiday pay, sick time, overtime, and benefits''. So Sparky, when labor unions become a thing of the past because "we don't need them anymore". Guess what else will become a thing of the past?

Yup you guessed it ...."40 hour weeks, holiday pay, sick time, overtime, and benefits''

UA Local 486 says you're welcome for..........

"40 hour weeks, holiday pay, sick time, overtime, and benefits''

• Union Pipefitter
                                              • September 28, 2011 2:49 AM

LOL brainwashed idiots -please realize any person against Real Labor Unions are non union Hacks just writing down words hoping to turn other non union idiots against -- the real unions -Unions =Fair pay and benefits that every working American deserves -Union orkers are the skill and talent that builds this country -why would anyone work at the mercy of a huge corporation hoping they will give you more -Unons make the wage that allow you to live a very good life if your willing to learn and work for it --Wake up America without Unionized Labor -we all would b making minimum wage and working alot more hours possibly for free to just keep a job --

• Leppard
                                                • January 13, 2012 11:08 PM

I come from euope and we have a union company in the states. From what i see I can agree that they are lazy workers. They care about theirselfs and not about the company. The company tries to grow but with a union like this you are not flexibel at all so the grow potential is low. If you grow you have more jobs but some how this union really doesn't care or understand. I can tell you each time i come home and i tell the examples what i have seen with the union they laughing hard and say that they still living in the 1930's.. This union says they are an international union because of the globalizing of the world, well trust me, they do not know how it works outside the USA.

• Pancho Villa
                                                  • February 22, 2012 7:32 PM

i just recently started working for a non union company about 2 months ago and i have to say non union labor facilities are the worst. after working in the UAW for 13 years and now working here i don't see how people do it.. there is very little benefits , vacation time, not to mention the supervisors think they can treat u any kind of way because they know if u don't go along with what they want they will just fire you ... I believe someone said in a earlier post that we need unions now more then ever they are dam right we do... UNIONS THEN ,,,, UNIONS NOW,, UNIONS FOREVER

• the mad worker
                                                    • May 3, 2013 2:08 AM

I'm non union and proud of it. I have a decent wage, good health benefits, and a good retirement plan. I just got my proud non union home sign and stuck in my front lawn. Now, I will thank those who developed the union way back when and got us the 40 hour work week, OSHA, and other benefits, but that was way back then. So, I won't thank the current union workers for that. You did nothing! We now have laws for these things thanks to those who stood up to Carnegie and the likes back then. Many of my friends are union, and they give me the "decent wage" argument all the time. They make $40+ an hour being union. Good for them, but that is far more than decent. I make $26 an hour and I am just fine with that. They argue that I would be better off if everyone made $40+ an hour. Sure, but if everyone made that, everything under the sun would increase in cost and $40+ an hour would mean nothing. I will also state that I live in Illinois, a pro union and democratic state. As most people know, Illinois is a mess. No money to pay for pensions, no jobs, and the debt grows by more than $1million a day! Why? Take a wild guess. I can't wait to get out of this state. Thumbs up to Wisconsin and their voters who stood up to the unions. Unions are still mob controlled and politician buying. So, to those who work in the union making more than a decent amount, yes, it is good for you from a wage standpoint, but overall, they are not. They are dying, and let them die. And no, nobody deserves to make $15 an hour working part-time in the fast food industry. Give me a break. If you want to make more, get educated or trained and LOOK for a better job. They are out there, but nothing should be handed to you.

• Todd
                                                      • November 12, 2013 2:29 AM

Jim V.
                                                        October 14, 2010 2:08 PM
                                                        - See more at: http://blogs.voices.com/voxdaily/2006/03/union_vs_nonunion.html#sthash.Voh7CuX8.dpuf

This is so very well written and you are correct are children will pay for this greed and for those out there that don't see it we are running out of time to fix it .

Unions have made the rich man open companies in other countries with less politics. Do you think the rich got rich because they are stupid (A Those Jobs Belong To Us) when the company closes there door did the union help you NO! . Ontario and Michigan are an example of taking advantage of the rich company . GONE FOREVER because unions are money takers not money makers. Only Government can fix this open shop protect the rich get them to open there company's under protection bring back the jobs are children can not survive without them.

God help us and bless North America

• Jkon
                                                        • November 14, 2013 8:59 PM

Unlike you union supporters I have been in all facets of the electrical trade from union to non union to union contractor to trying to be non union contractor so I can actually speak about the subject with a little intelligence unlike your greedy selves. For one I would never work for a union contractor again as long as I live. I have never heard so much whining and sniveling from such overpaid, underworked people in my life. Only a few knew the trade like they should have. I grew up on a farm, I know what work is. Second, being a business man and forced to join the union has proved almost impossible to get out even though my employees want nothing to do with it anymore. It is nothing more than a socialist welfare system for the union bosses. What a joke!

• Greg
                                                          • January 7, 2014 8:57 PM

Greg, I'm sure you are very skilled and are definitely a hard worker. Nobody is taking that away from you; but what you have to realize is that when you say you grew up on a farm it almost automatically classifies you in a biased group of anti-union republicans. Guess what? People who grow up on farms aren't used to sharing are they? When you grow up in a city you learn about the distribution of wealth because where you grew up everybody has to work together and share the resources around us. I work in a HVAC service and installation shop where everybody is from the country. Yes, they do work very hard, but they complain as much as anybody I've ever heard. Probably because half of them are over 40 and started when they were 20 and realize that if they would've started in the union they could be retiring by now instead of working until they are 60 with knees so shot they can hardly stand... just something to think about.

• matt
                                                            • March 1, 2014 4:32 PM

On average, union workers are more likely to enjoy better benefits compared to non-union employees. That includes health, retirement accounts, and paid sick leave. According to the U.S. Department of Labor, 77 percent of union workers get pensions (guaranteed continued payments) after they retire from the job, compared to only 20 percent of non-union workers.
                                                              I have been in the union trades for 34 years and will retire soon with a earned pension. I nor my wife will ever be a burden on society as we have guaranteed income well above what social security will provide. As for my non union counterparts, most will run out of money before they die and end up on government assistance. I resent the union bashing when so many of the bashers themselves end up this way at my expense. When a union member goes to the hospital, they pay the bill. When a union member retires they maintain a lifestyle above the poverty level and continue to influx money into the economy.
                                                              Twice in my career I watched people join my union just long enough to gain health insurance, have a major operation, then quit, leaving us with the huge medical bills, and increasing our rates.

• mark