By David Ciccarelli
July 17, 2006
Like the grapevine that needs to be pruned in order to yield a fruitful harvest, we've been exploring a few under utilized features that, well, simply put - need to go.
It's been said that 99% of computer owners have a copy of Microsoft Word for word processing, but out of those millions, maybe even billions of people, most people use less than 10% of what Word can actually do.
This is known as "software bloat". And, we want to avoid it like the plague.
So what's our plan? We're asking you what needs to go.
If you see something on the list that you love, or just find useful, please let us know before it goes to the chopping block. OK, let's get started.
1. Drop the 'Studio'. Combine the file uploading with the 'Profile'. Is anyone creating separate folders to manage your audio, video, text and images? If not, we could drastically simplify things by having files uploaded in the same areas as your profile.
2. Remove the 'Share Files' feature that is currently in the studio. Have you have sent a file using this feature? It's pretty handy, but may need to go. On the other hand, it may just need to be improved.
3. Status - something that we thought would relay communication between those clients that posted the job and you, the talents that are about to audition, or have already auditioned has turned into a point of confusion and frustration.
4. Language field - If you are only speaking one language ( i.e. English ), you shouldn't need to see English beside each job posting. If you speak multiple languages, you'll still see the job as it's been selected in your Profile.
5. Login counter. We all have enough numbers to see, memorize and analyze. The login counter serves little purpose.
6. BBBOnline, Privacy Guarantee, VISA / Mastercard and PayPal icons from the bottom of pages where you are already logged in. Do these symbols help build trust? Do you want them at the bottom of your personal website ( http://you.voices.com ) ?
7. 'Notes' from your personal website. This field is an opportunity for your to add any additional notes, comments or persuasive messages. Is this field necessary or does it just take up space?
8. Site Map - Have you ever used the Site Map? If so, let us know what was useful or what needs to be removed for easier manageability.
9. Rename 'Webstore' to 'PayPal Button'.
10. Too many links to helpful resources? Can we combine some of them to make using our website easier?
DavidRelated Topics: Microsoft