By Stephanie Ciccarelli
June 4, 2007
Does your demo have a case of the uglies?
Join the graphic design experts Dan Dinsmore and Phil Montelone from Overit Media as they give tips on how "putting on the makeup" for your Demo CD and branding materials.
Graphic design is a form of visual communication that combines words and imagery to convey a message.
Graphic design is everywhere. It's on stationary, booklets, business cards, carpets, paint, street signs, and more! Every design that you encounter starts with an illustrator or artist.
A design evokes emotion out of people, therefore, you want to portray yourself properly.
But you might be wondering, "What does design have to do with my voice?"
The answer: You are in a field where presentation is everything.
Here are some tips on how to make your demo packaging great and not have your CD end up as a coaster on somebody's desk or be confused with a piece of rubble.
- Make sure that your demo art is clean and professional
- Present potential clients or agents with nice packaging that they will share with others
- Get a pro to brand your image
- If you are comfortable, use a professional head shot on the inside sleeve of your CD
- Head shots should only be used if you are pursuing on-camera work as well as voice over
- If you are only performing as a voice over artist, do not include a photo of yourself
- Placing a printed label on a blank CD
- Unprofessional designs (no clarity, inappropriate image, unflattering head shots, etc.)
- Leaving your name or contact information off of the marketing material
- Including irrelevant images or references
- People judge books by their covers and they'll judge your voice by your CD package
In the end, it all comes down to presentation.
You could be the greatest voice actor of our time, but if your CD or branding package is sub-par or questionable, it will end up in the garbage bin faster than you can say Jiminy Cricket.
Does any of this information resonate with you? What are your dos and don'ts for branding your professional image?
Looking forward to hearing from you,
Image Â© OveritMedia.com
Looking for voice talent? You've come to the right place. Post a job and you'll get sample recordings of your script and price quotes.
Vox Daily offers a daily dose of voice acting news, articles, tutorials, interviews, intelligent conversation and business ideas for voice talent and voice actors.
Our feed & social options update you with special offers and news as it happens.