By Stephanie Ciccarelli
January 30, 2008
From time to time, we all get into a routine of doing things in our comfort zone, and for many, this comfort zone may also become a limitation for your creativity as well as narrow the kind of work you are hired for.
Have you thought about the kind of voice acting work or style of voicing you provide to your customers?
Discover 5 points that may suggest you are in a voice acting rut.
Always recording the same stuff?
If you are hired a lot to record for certain applications, you may come to conclusion that those areas are your specialties and stay within that niche happy as a clam.
While it's great to know where your strengths lie and what your signature voice is, staying in that comfort zone of homogeneous (which means "of the same kind") voice over work can stunt your growth where other aspects or styles of voicing are concerned.
You may have hit a glass ceiling for your voice over work if:
1. You are always hired to voice for the same kind of project (i.e. telephone voice overs, commercials, etc.)
2. You find that any voice over you do starts to sound the same (style wise, intonation, timing, etc.)
3. The only demos you promote are for one kind of voice over
4. Many good opportunities are declined because you don't feel you're the "right voice" for the job
5. You're hesitant to try new things but know you could do more if required
If you can relate to any of the points above it might be time to start brainstorming and figure out what you can do to break free of any doldrums you are facing.
Have you discovered a "new" kind of voice over or service offering that you now provide to your clients? How's it working out for you?
I'd love to hear your stories, so please leave a comment on this article and join the discussion.
Â©iStockphoto.com / Aimin Tang
Vox Daily offers a daily dose of voice acting news, articles, tutorials, interviews, intelligent conversation and business ideas for voice talent and voice actors.
Becoming a voice actor, working from your own home recording studio and auditioning for voice-over jobs is within your reach!