Do More Voice Actors Drink Tea or Coffee?

January 7, 2009

Woman drinking coffee or teaDo you go for a pot of Joe or are you more inclined to sip on a cup of tea?

While it's no secret what I prefer (I'm on the tea side), I think it would be extremely interesting to take an informal poll through comments on this posting to discover what the majority of voice actors prefer.

Curious?

Find out what your colleagues are drinking and which is healthier at VOX Daily.

Java Jive or Tea for Two?

Singing the praises of tea isn't nearly as difficult as extolling the virtues of coffee when it comes to outlining overall health and the vocal benefits therein.

However, many voice actors do drink coffee, and in fact, prefer it over tea!

It's time to find out which of these contenders holds the most market share among voice over professionals.

Which do you drink? Tea or Coffee?

Comment and let me know which of these two beverages you drink regularly and how your drink of choice benefits you throughout the day.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

P.S. If you drink something else regularly, you are also welcome to comment, but the focus is on which you prefer, coffee or tea.

©iStockphoto.com/Mark Pierce

Related Topics: coffee, voice, voice acting, voice actors, voice overs

Comments

I'm sort of neither, but I don't like coffee at all and have tea sometimes.

• EatRune
    • January 7, 2009 2:39 PM

I am a coffee drinker myself, I tend to chug back a large Timmies right before a voice gig just to loosen up my throat. I have heard that coffee is bad for voice actors....but I find the opposite results. maybe this is because I do more cartoonish character acting instead of heart felt dramatic roles. :)

But coffee you are the one for me.

it's coffee all the way! I like tea sometimes. Water is a staple as well!

• Kelli Casey
        • January 7, 2009 2:52 PM

Tea. Always Tea. Can't function without a whole pot in the morning. And always made in a pot - never the bag in mug with water process - it's just not right!

• Louisa
          • January 7, 2009 3:06 PM

Hey Stephanie!

When I have to make a choice - I am more of a coffee drinker (but I have to doll it up a bit with lots of sugar and cream)...so I usually just stick to water (but I have to doll it up too with Lemon)!!

I was introduced to coffee as a 13-yr-old Boy Scout on a COLD weekend campout. The kid who was supposed to bring the cream and sugar forgot it. It was so cold that weekend, I decided to drink it hot and "black." Have continued to do for over 60-years. Let's hear it for "Mr. Coffee Bean!"

Tea for two, or rather one. In my basement cave while holed away in my booth. I treat myself to the occasional hot chai at Caribou or Starbucks, but it's usually Lemon Ginger. Yogi tea is the favorite, mostly because I'm a sucker for the little gems of wisdom on the tag :)

I am a coffee drinker through and through. Tea is for bedtime and sore throats; although I'm sure it would be better for me and my speaking. But since I've been drinking coffee religiously since I was fifteen, I don't see any end in sight.

Coffee every morning. The rest of the day, plain hot water, or hot water with chili pepper flakes. No tea for me, thank you!

Coffee in the morning -- tea in the afternoon and non caffeinated tea in the evening. I have always loved both -- black coffee and plain tea, but have gotten back into tea as a comfort beverage lately.
                      For Voiceover -- water, not too cold.

I actually prefer coffee for the most part. I drink the dark roast as it has less caffeine.

• Bill Johnson
                        • January 7, 2009 4:47 PM

I only drink coffee because I enjoy it. I don't use it to wake up or give me a 'kick' - therefore I only have a black coffee a couple of times a week when I go out 'for coffee'. Tea, on the other hand...I love to start or finish my day with a green or two.

• Matt Cowlrick
                          • January 7, 2009 5:21 PM

My drink of choice is water it helps keep my mind and body working right. The root of most physical problems is dehydration. I do enjoy coffee black halfcaf no sugar sometimes when I doing a non voice project ie. prop or set building etc. After an event or after a voice project, I will have a nice cup of throat coat tea.
                            So in answer to the question YES
                            Ron Levine
                            Voice Actor

Tea!

• Brian Roberts
                              • January 7, 2009 5:43 PM

Definitely a tea drinker. :) I do enjoy a good latte now and then, but tea is what I generally prefer.

I love coffee, but when it comes to taking care of my voice before a gig, it's definitely tea.

• Lori Engler
                                  • January 7, 2009 5:59 PM

I don't drink either anymore, but at one time I drank lots of coffee, never tea. Working all those years at rado stations, coffee was free at almost every station, soft drinks had to be purchased from a vending machine, and the tap water varied widely in quality. In recent years, many radio stations barter spots for watercoolers.

These days, it's strictly water for me. The tap water at my place is pretty good, so I drink it. Tip for the throat - save the little packets of salt from fast food restaurants, and always have a few in the desk drawer. If you ever need quick relief for a sore throat, just heat a cup of water in the microwave till lukewarm, stir in the salt from the packet, gargle, and you'll be ready to go for at least a little while!

Being a Yorkshire man, myself, it has got to be tea - Yorkshire Tea at that! I can't function without a decent cuppa first thing in the morning. I do like coffee, but it gives me dreadful migraines, so apart from the occasional cup, I have to abstain.

C - 0- F - F - E - E - coffee is the drink for me! I have to get up early to do voice overs for my European clients. So it's coffee all the way in the morning...Tea in the evening and lots of Vino in between! That is when I am not working.
                                        Ed Victor

It looks like I'm an "all of the above"! While I'm going over copy, it's coffee to stimulate the "little grey cells", as Poirot would say. Then, before a session, it's a soothing herbal tea with honey. During a session, I'm never far from bottled water, but I find that that's mainly to keep my mouth from getting dry, not really helping or hurting my throat.

• Sandre' Moore
                                          • January 8, 2009 8:18 AM

I'm a two cup of coffee in the morning drinker. I stay away from caffeine after that.

Water is my mainstay. I try to drink at least 64 oz. a day. Sometimes I lace it with a bit of concentrated lime juice as it acts as a 'drying' agent of sorts because my saliva glands sometimes take over when I'm recording and when my mouth is 'over lubricated', it tends to magnify clicking sounds.

...but then that's just me ;o)

Ran

• Ran Alan Ricard
                                            • January 8, 2009 8:29 AM

One large mug of Lion Kona Coffee per day. Tea only by doctor's order.

Strong toxic coffee in the morning and then nothing but water all day and night. :)

Tea, darjeeling with agave syrup to sweeten. And a LOT of water when I remember.

I enjoy my coffee in the morning. Throughout the day, however, and especially mid afternoon, I love tea. Green is best. Chai is nice. After dinners out, or a stop at a cafe, a double espresso is just heaven.

I have built up a caffeine immunity.

Coffee is a daily drink. I dislike really strong coffee. I do enjoy tea also, but usually drink it in a particular manner based on mood or need. I address tea either medicinally or as a retreat "treat". I don't drink any carbonated beverages as a rule and enjoy my room - temperature water with lemon, lime and sometimes even orange slices throughout the day.

Sometimes coffee (rarely).. Iced Tea comes with almost every meal unless it is fast food...then diet coke. Annnd I didn't mention water because I don't drink much of it... but I have started for the new year~~

COFFEE! Actually, water... but decaf coffee...and decaf green tea. A decaf coffee misto (that's 70% milk) with a half pump of peppermint is my daily indulgence.

While I like decaf coffee once in a while, I'm a tea drinker daily. Mainly iced tea though... I'm in FL afterall!!

Me? I'm an Iced Tea drinker, but also a fair amount of Diet Pepsi (sorry).

Wayne

Coffee for me! I make it strong half decaf/half full leaded and drink it black - too jittery otherwise. I drink about half a pot a day. Tea once in awhile in the afternoon. Always try to get the 8 glasses of water in, too!

Oh how I wish I liked tea! I've tried liking tea. I even lived in Tokyo for a while and tried "the real stuff." Now I'm living in Singapore and am still surrounded by tea. Maybe one day I'll figure out the tea I like, but in the meantime I get my daily fix of a skinny iced vanilla NSA (No Sugar Added) Latte from the Coffee Bean.

• Jen Page
                                                                  • January 8, 2009 9:37 AM

If I had to make a choice, I'd choose tea. However, I do enjoy a cup of coffee every now and then! I'm not as obsessive over it as I am tea! Tea must be sweetened, and that's not because I grew up in the South. If I wanted water, I'd say I want water!

• Jonathan Evans
                                                                    • January 8, 2009 9:41 AM

I've never been a coffee fan. Decaffeinated hot tea helps me get in the right mood for voice overs. Have a great day.

Michael J. Reagan
                                                                      MJR (Voice Over) Productions

I can't wake up with out 2-3 cups of coffee, but after that I usually switch to tea with honey later in the day or water.

I really like both, but on most days, coffee wins. I usually don't have a different vocal experience between them, unless I'm a little under the weather (coffee will bring out any throat tickles I may be experiencing then). Dairy products are still the only things that slow me down!

Tea, mostly...coffee sometimes...

I like green tea, but that seems to be the worst for my voice...I should probably change...and maybe add honey...

I drink coffee twice a week- on Saturday and Sunday mornings. Because I like to doctor it up with cream and milk- it isn't good during the week when I'm recording. So, during the week I go through gallons of green tea! Sometimes hot, but typically cold or room temp.

Definitely tea for me...specifically green tea and sometimes white tea (contains three times more polyphenols or antioxidants than green tea). I usually have 5 to 6 cups per day, mostly in the morning. I often drink a "tea" made with fresh mint leaves in the evening (before a nice glass of resveratrol-rich red wine to finish off the day).

• Randy Bloyd
                                                                                • January 8, 2009 10:43 AM

Coffee for me. Usually a nice strong Italian roast. I'm a global guy and spend a lot of early mornings on conference calls with Europe and Asia. I have two cups to wake me up and that's it for the day. IF I feel the need for anything in the afternoon, it's usually green tea.

• Dennis McGeady
                                                                                  • January 8, 2009 10:45 AM

Mostly coffee- 2 cups in the morning, but also tea..(decaf). I love to warm my hands on the cup on cooler days. During the summer, I'll go for iced everything.

Coffee is FIRST on my list. But please make it DUNKIN'. Not Starbucks.(...and the war has begun...)

Us "New Englanduhs" prefer Dunkin' Coffee!

• JC Haze
                                                                                      • January 8, 2009 10:51 AM

Coffee, but only after the session. I've heard that apple juice is good for reducing mouth-click noises.

I have a coffee maker with a timer that is my alarm clock! It grinds the beans first then brews..and is a great way to wake up! I also prefer Silk soy coffee creamer to any milk product.

Since I write mystery tea party plans, there's no mystery that I prefer tea! A nice, hot cup of English Breakfast perks me up. The extra perk is that it is loaded with anti-oxidants, so it's good for me, too!

• Maxine
                                                                                            • January 8, 2009 12:57 PM

Tea, baby! Good Earth Sweet & Spicy, Earl Grey, Chai, English Breakfast, Black, Green, White.....Always with a bit of honey, which has wonderful natural healing properties, plus that little bit of sweet help wash all the gooky stuff out of the throat.

The only drink better than tea is that evening glass (or 2!) of Zin. Yup, it must be time for that late morning cup....

• Diana
                                                                                              • January 8, 2009 2:27 PM

Are you kidding? Coffee! There's no substitute. Tea is the drink of choice for recording sessions, but I'm always wishing it was coffee in my cup.

I prefer half-caf or decaf in the morning. After that mostly water or decaf black or green tea. Plenty of water during the day though.

I prefer coffee, although I have met 2 audio book talents who only do teas. One said when reading the unbound books, in loose-leaf style, he reads two pages and, while turning the page, does this: a sip of water, a sip of herbal tea, blistex on the lips (prevent smacking) and then retsin or a drop on the tongue (prevent cotton mouth).

Bill Middleton

• Bill Middleton
                                                                                                    • January 9, 2009 9:39 AM

Decaf always.
                                                                                                      Coffee with fancy creamer, or chai tea. The ultimate guilty pleasure: Cinnamon dolce de leche latte from that fancy coffee company which rhymes with jar ducks. ;)

I'm big on variety and like pretty much Everything---but first thing in the morning, it's coffee (1/2 'caf, 1/2 decaf blend) and that cut with 1/2 cup hot water to decrease the dehydrating effects.
                                                                                                        I drink lots of water throughout the day as well, generally with a splash of juice in it, or a bit of lemon.
                                                                                                        Tea is wonderful w/ a bit of vanilla soymilk---any tea at all.
                                                                                                        And hot water with raw honey, or honey and lemon. Yum!

• matilda novak
                                                                                                        • January 9, 2009 1:05 PM

TEA! Especially in the morning before I do my auditions. I mix Jasmine Greent Tea with Throat Coat Tea and it makes a great way to get a little caffeine and sets my voice up right for recording with the Throat Coat. Mmmm!

Being from Seattle, I don't really have the option to answer tea.

For those who haven't been to the birthplace of Starbucks, you may not realize just how ridiculous coffee extremism can become. One of my favorite local radio commercials is for Pemco insurance poking fun at a stereotype of this northwestern elitism. It is just a fun read to boot:

"With the brilliance of a medieval alchemist, he guides the guileless barista through a terrifying labyrinth of seemingly incongruous ingredients and commands:

"So make mine a triple vente grande americano chai vanilla minty mochachino caramel macchiato half-caf, half-decaf, one equal, one sweet-and-low, one raw sugar, skinny organic extra-virgin olive oil,
                                                                                                            soy breve with no foam extra whip, extra hot, and oh yes. Leave off the top so I can put on my own sprinkles."

• Bert Bingham
                                                                                                            • January 9, 2009 1:50 PM

Tea and Espresso.

I'm a big time coffee drinker. Although I pretty much limit my coffee drinking to 2 cups in the morning. I also occasionally will drink tea and infusions. I think one should draw a distinction between something that has no actual tea in it, like many of those caffeine free fruit "tea" drinks. I enjoy a few of those on occasion. I also will most often have iced tea when I go out for lunch.

Zero Calorie water dragonfruit is also becoming a big favorite to take into the booth with me.

Coffee? No thanks, I have to drive. Actually I rather prefer a spot of green tea (Japanese Sencha) with a dash of local honey ;)

Tea, definitely! Mostly standard with some milk, sometimes black with lemon and honey, other times a mixture of different fruit teas.

(Sometimes I'll crave coffee, maybe, once a month or so I'll have instant coffee with half a spoon of sugar and some milk to take out the bitterness).

• Daniel Rodrigues
                                                                                                                    • January 9, 2009 7:54 PM

Stephanie...
                                                                                                                      Since I still get up at 4:30 AM to anchor news on an NPR station (my "day job,") I can't function without an enormous cup of strong, black coffee at 5:00 AM. That's generally the only cup of either coffee or tea I have all day, though...

Steve

Coffee is preferred here as well, and I try to balance this "bad" habit with increasing my intake of water to avoid it affecting my tone. I also like tea, but tend to default to that when sick or if coffee is not available.

I like Java I like Tea
                                                                                                                          But Coffee wins the race for me

David Emmons

• David Emmons
                                                                                                                          • January 11, 2009 6:13 PM

Coffee, coffee, coffee!
                                                                                                                            After walking the kids to school, I often keep walking to the "satellite office" (Starbucks). Nothing fancy - just drip with a little half and half. I haven't found that it really affects my voice.

After 21 years of waking up to the sound of reveille at oh dark thirty hours, coffee is still my battle buddy!

But, someone much smarter than me on the subject of anatomy and physiology said to never drink either before a session. HOT WATER is the best pre- and during sessions. Cleans sludge off the cords and keeps them warm. And by "hot" I mean just coffee hot...please don't pour scalding hot water down your hatch!

Straight black coffee, no sugar or other stuff - medium to dark, 1-2 cups just a few times a week... the occasional espresso, and about a gallon of water a day. Once in a *great* while I'll drink coffee while doing VO work - seems like it gives a little edge to the voice. 'course that could just be a lot of wishful thinking :)

I switched from drinking coffee to tea. Because based on my research,the tea contains less amount of caffeine than coffee does. Caffeine has a lot of negative effects. And the other reason I prefer tea is because I don't want coffee(which has a large amount of caffeine) to ruin my voice. I'm a music student.

• Nicole Anderson
                                                                                                                                  • April 28, 2011 3:09 AM

It depends. Every morning is a pot of Earl Grey while coffee is for when I am out.
                                                                                                                                    I do see myself as a coffee hound because I will take more trouble to enjoy my coffee or drive farther for a good cup!
                                                                                                                                    At the mic it is neither, of course.