Random Acts of Kindness

July 26, 2009

Care building blocksLast week I talked about how you can change the world with your voice.

There's some even better news... you don't have to stop there!

You can also change the world when you show gratitude to others and encourage them to continue their good works through random acts of kindness.

Find out more about how to do this here at VOX Daily.

Be a Fan

Do you know what it feels like to work hard at a what may seem like a thankless job?

We all have moments when we feel as though no one cares about what we were doing when feedback is not forthcoming, regardless of how grateful people truly are.

The reality is that people are overwhelmed with information, by advertisements, and can barely get through their day achieving what needs to be done in their own lives let alone keep up with the constant stream of activity and chatter online to engage with other people.

Like other bloggers, sometimes I feel discouraged when there aren't as many comments on an article as may have been expected. While I can track page views, subscribers to the blog, links coming to the VOX Daily, and how many people have shared my articles through channels such as Twitter, nothing quite beats hearing about what people think in terms of how it made them feel.

Positive feedback encourages people to continue and inspires them to keep at it.

This is why it is so important to be a fan, a cheerleader, or an encouraging force to help lift others up and remind them that what they are doing is of value and has made a difference.

3 Ways You Can Encourage Others

๏ Email 1 person per day to encourage or thank them for their hard work and contributions
๏ Send an appreciative handwritten letter to someone you admire
๏ Comment on a blog post and thank the author for sharing their insight

When you reach out to someone and share what's on your mind or in your heart it means a great deal to the person you are connecting with.

Each day, I make an effort to comment on at least one blog to show my appreciation and join a discussion. For you it may be something different like making a phone call, sending a letter, or even commenting on someone's Facebook status or giving a thumb's up to a posted item.

When I receive emails from people along those lines and let me tell you, it makes you feel valued, appreciated and validates what you've put out there for people to benefit from.

Can you relate?

Any Comments?

©iStockphoto.com/Alex Slobodkin

Related Topics: blogs, comments, Facebook, how to, Random acts of kindess, Twitter

Comments

Stephanie, this is a beautiful post. I definitely agree: a random act of kindness can make a difference, both to the giver and the receiver.

Sometimes it seems that we live in a cold and hectic world. I was feeling that way while waiting for an appointment one day, when an old man, seeing my unhappy mood, came up to me and handed me a flower. I cannot express how touched I was.

Life isn't always easy, and simple acts of kindness remind us that there is goodness and caring in the world. They should inspire us to perform acts of kindness ourselves, so as to bring some happiness to others' lives, as well.

Your suggestions for encouraging others online are spot on.

Yes, Stephanie. We do need each other. For support, for affirmation and for clarification. Taking part in an online community takes effort, but pays big dividends if only in the satisfaction of helping others. Communication is vital, of the two-way variety -- we all have the basic human need to connect with our fellow travelers.
      So I read you -- loud and clear.
      Diane

I can't imagine anyone at Voices.com feeling discouraged through lack of positive feedback.

From ranking on external sites (http://www.backbonemag.com/Web2/PICK20_Winners_2009.asp), with great articles and podcasts, through to excellent talent/client support, you're doing a great job for us all.

Thanks, as ever.

andy boyns

Stephanie,
          It is nice to feel appreciated. I recently started my own blog to compliment my website and my social networking. It makes me wonder sometimes when I spend a great deal of time in putting together a post to share with others, then getting no feedback at all, if no one really read the post, or just didn't care. What I've learned, now that I've started my own, is that even a one word response to someone's posting, is better than no words at all. I will take your list of 3 way to encourage others to heart and hope it comes back in return.

Stephanie,
            You are changing lives with your words, starting with me.
            Thanks for encouraging kindness!
            Jane

• janeingalls
            • July 27, 2009 9:06 AM

Bless you, Stephanie, for starting this conversation. Far too many people in this increasingly un-civil world do not take the time for these small but very meaningful gestures.

I recently, and unexpectedly, got a note back from a person to whom I had written when her dad died. She simply said, "Years from now I doubt that I will recall what you said, but will always recall how you made me feel."

Peace,

David

This is a lovely article, Stephanie! I completely agree with the Random Acts of Kindness philosophy! Besides making it a habit to read emails and respond each morning before auditioning, I try to keep up with handwritten thank you notes. Right now, I have two notes I've just finished that I'm dropping the the mail. BTW, thank you for all your efforts to reach out to all members of Voices.com and share your insights and information. It truly has been such an interesting journey into your thoughts and interests! Learning more about the world of voice overs has been incredibly fascinating! It takes dedication and time to commit to writing as many articles as you do, and I enjoy seeing them pop up in my email on a daily basis! Keep them coming....
                All the best,
                Linda

Thank you to everyone who has commented so far! I truly appreciate hearing from you and am very touched by your responses.

What a community we have here! I hope these articles of late have been of particular help :)

Thank you!!!

Good Morning, All...
                    Today I'm going to name names and pull no punches in this response! There are people in the voice over world who are accomplished experts in their fields of expertise...who make a living because they are gifted and professional...who actually perform random acts of kindness and giving just because.
                    This is a public acknowledgement and "Thank You" to Nancy Wolfson who gave me a tremendous free gift from her vast catalogue of voice over experiences and business practices...just because!
                    Thanks, Nancy...and Stephanie.

Stephanie,

Thank you so much for this blog post. It's so true what you said in today's Vox Daily. It made me realize that I'm doing random acts of kindness and I want take advantage of this opportunity to say THANK YOU STEPHANIE, for posting this blog entries at the proper time, like today! I say thank you with all my heart, because right now your blog entries (along with Voice Over Experts podcast) are my only source of voice-over education since right now I don't have enough money to pay for a formal training in voice-over industry. Every Vox Daily article that you publish is an inspiration for me and a great way to get a real view of the voice-over industry and what it takes to be a voice-over talent. Thank you so much Stephanie
                      for your wonderful work and kindness, it's greatly appreciated. I hope someday I will be able to attend a voice-over training and finally make it into the voice-over industry.

Pablo Hernandez

• Pablo Hernandez
                      • July 27, 2009 12:08 PM

I know you weren't fishing for compliments but just feedback, and Voices.com has been a major source of information, encouragement, and sharing for me. Thank you sooooo much for all you do.
                        And I have a public thank you to Lori Taylor who has taken time to share wonderful advice and suggestions and even invited me to participate in one of her jobs when she needed a new voice. She's a great representative of the voice-over industry.
                        I'm no longer actively pursuing a career, but still enjoy the Vox daily.

• Carol Nicholson
                        • July 27, 2009 4:48 PM

Thank you Stephanie for all your hard work and rock star articles!

• Channe Nolen
                          • July 27, 2009 5:53 PM

Thank you for helping me to realize that the little things I do, like giving a thumb up or a comment on FB, does make a difference and can be considered a random act of kindness. I know that my intention is to share some caring and encouragement. Sometimes I’ve wondered if it mattered or not but I still try to listen to my heart and do it.

Marla Thompson

• Marla Thompson
                            • July 27, 2009 5:53 PM

Validation is a feel-good gesture, even if it's disagreeable. It addresses the questions "Is anybody listening? Does anyone care?" Yes, some do...it's just nice to see or hear it.

With the flu-like spread of social media opportunities for reacting&commenting, it's a bear to keep up. Some will be offended. Others take advantage of the opportunities to "spam" the readers w/ unlimited posts, all of which can not be answered, and that's OK too.

I attempt 2B selective and respond to those that I want to support&encourage.

Speaking of supporting, I have yet to join an on-line VO casting service, but positively, if I do, it will be Voices.com for all the right reasons.

• Tom Dolan
                              • July 27, 2009 7:52 PM

I’ve been reading the blog for a few weeks now, and I really love the time you spend detailing so many topics about voice-overs. I initially took interest in the field through video games and animation, but all of the other jobs and specializations that are covered on your site were eye opening to me. I also love how you make the reader feel empowered about being able to make choices regarding what they want to do. I also enjoy reading about the various ways that VAs take care of their voices. I was especially surprised about the article that discussed the Bogart-Bacall syndrome. Being a guy with a very low voice, it really stuck out for me, and my mother even seemed interested about it when I discussed it with her.

I’m not a professional, and I haven’t done any VAing yet, but your site is a great information resource that I’d recommend to anyone that asks me about it.

• Jeremiah Jones
                                • July 28, 2009 11:27 AM

Stephanie,

Thanks for always providing thought-provoking blog posts and emails. Good points, all of them.

Stephanie,
                                    Thanks for this reminder and thank you for all of the long hours and hard work that you put into Voices.com. I always make a point of thanking people who have helped me. I also believe in "Paying It Forward" whenever possible.

• Christina Fadala
                                    • July 30, 2009 4:44 PM

Stephanie,
                                      I must apologize, I have been reading your posts and have enjoyed them, every one. I have not taken the time to Thank You for your hard work because I have taken your posts for granted. I know you work very hard writing your blog, among other tasks you have during the day. Please keep your very helpful articles coming, it keeps me and others connected to the industry. P.S. Say Hi to David for me. Hope to see you next year.
                                      Leo

• Leo Frappier
                                      • July 30, 2009 9:23 PM

Dear Leo,

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts! I'm very happy to hear that :) I will certainly say hello to David for you and also hope to see you at next year's Voice Coaches event.