10 Things Voice Talent Could Be Doing For a Better 2010

December 30, 2009

2010 New YearWhenever people talk about resolutions, they usually are referring to their own personal set of objectives they resolve to accomplish in the coming year.

What if we as a community tried to observe some common resolutions that would make voice over an even better, more productive and prosperous industry?

Join me now in our countdown to 2010 with some industry-wide resolutions!

Industry-Wide Resolutions Starting With VO Pros

As we approach 2010, I thought it would be worthwhile to ponder resolutions that we might all try to adopt as a community...

10. Be Kind to Your Neighbour

We are all here for such a short time and our purpose is to love. Remember that each and every person you meet is a child of God who has worth. Regardless of who you encounter, however brief the exchange, be ready to greet them with respect, patience and dignity. Be generous and approach each situation with an open heart. From the people you meet to the situations you find yourself in, everything happens for a reason.

9. Focus on Being Positive and Positive Business Relationships

Be someone you would be proud to know. By living in the present and focusing on the positive you will be a source of good in this world and set an example for others. Similarly, engage in positive business relationships. Work with people who want to lift you up, who inspire you and believe in what you do. Reciprocate. Lift others up, inspire them and believe in their careers.

8. Participate in Community and Grow Through Networking

Show interest in other voice over professionals and people who work in the greater audio industry. Get out to events, take part in teleseminars or start a networking group local to your city to bring complementary product and service providers together. One of the most admired aspects of voice over is how strong and closely knit our community is. Let 2010 be the year your circle expands to welcome others such as audio recording engineers, producers, voice directors, instructors, musicians, actors, copy writers and more.

7. Be the Best You Can Be

Voice acting is relative to a solo sport. The only person you are competing with is yourself. If you've been measuring your gifts relative to those of others now is the time to stop. Your voice, life experiences, education and soul are unique. No one person shares the exact same path. Embrace your own voice, your own business and the customers you can serve.

6. Uphold Your Values

What do you value? Family, health, morality? Whatever it is that you hold dear, be sure to not only hold those values but deliver on those values by making them true priorities in your life. If this means quoting higher rates, turning down jobs that go against your personal beliefs or spending less of your day on the Internet and reserving that time for your loved ones instead, honour them.

5. Have Faith and Courage

For many people 2009, and perhaps the years that came before, have been particularly challenging. The economy is improving, a new year is dawning and opportunities await you. Believe in yourself, stand firm and place your hope in things that last. Whether it is a financial challenge, a personal struggle or something that seems to be out of your control do not be afraid. Everything happens for a reason.

As a Christian, both my trust and hopes are placed in Jesus who is my strength and refuge. I am nothing without Him but everything with Him. People don't usually talk about spirituality or associate it with their businesses because it can often be a source of controversy or alienation. That being said, expressing my faith, both personally and professionally, gives me strength and the having of it empowers me to do good and lift others up through VOX Daily, Voices.com and in my community.

Perhaps this is the year that your faith, whatever that faith may be, takes a prominent place in your business. Have courage!

4. See Things from the Perspective of Others

If you've spent any time on this earth, it's no secret that there are opinions and perspectives that differ from those of your own. Perhaps you don't agree with some of what I've said. While you may not agree with what someone says, have the heart to try and see from their perspective and understand where they are coming from. That doesn't mean that you need to compromise on your own beliefs and opinions... it simply means that you respect them as a person and can agree to disagree. This will also help to make you a better communicator and diplomat.

3. Invest in Our Youth

Do your kids want to do voice over? Are there children, teenagers or college students who you see potential in? Just as you hope to be scouted or heard by agents, people just starting out or who show potential need cheerleaders who can help them identify their talent and encourage them to excel. Are you that person? Are you helping to lead, educate or inspire the next generation of voice over professionals? Keep in mind that guidance counselors are not usually recommending that a student become a voice over artist. Think of a youth you know who may enter our field... the only person who might offer that kind of guidance and direction to them may be you.

2. Keep Learning

Just as your car needs a regular tuneup, your voice over career needs a regular tuneup, too. If you have children in the school system or are a teacher, you also know that there are a number of "professional development" days on the calendar that are set aside for teachers to come together and learn of new teaching techniques, procedures and or curricula. People who work for businesses often find opportunities to grow in their position through professional development. Voice acting is no different. Treat your education as a business expense. Go to at least one educational event per year that either improves your current skills or helps you to develop new ones. If you can manage it, educate yourself quarterly in a formal setting and also take the time to educate yourself every day informally through podcasts, blogs, and industry news.

1. Shine Your Light

Move with purpose and penetrate the darkness with your light. While you may only see yourself as a voice over artist, remember that you also can play the role of teacher, mentor, role model, advocate, cheerleader, connector, adviser and the list goes on. Be noble, live with integrity and be generous. Be a blessing to others.

Do You Have Any Resolutions You'd Like To Add?

Looking forward to your comments on or additions to the list!

May 2010 bless you and yours abundantly with health, prosperity and happiness.

Happy New Year!

Stephanie and the Voices.com Team

©iStockphoto.com/Guido Vrola

Related Topics: 2010, agents, child, Christmas, industry, New Year's, resolutions, SAG, talent, teenager, voice acting, voice overs, voiceover, Voices.com

Comments

Eloquently stated and graciously presented. Thanks for giving us a compass for the new year.

Thanks Stephanie for the great perspective. Thank you also for having the courage to share your beliefs. I too am a Christian and realize that in today's culture this can be somewhat controversial, however, I believe that the successes I have had early in my career are largely due to my faith. Reading blogs like this helps me to stay committed and persevere in reaching my VO career goals. My faith along with a lot of hard work, training, and going to school on pros in this industry, like yourself, I believe I will help me to reach my goals.

Thanks!

Thank you Herb and Paul!

I appreciate hearing from you :)

Very inspiring Stephanie! Thank you for the words of encouragement!

Faith plays a HUGE role in my life and career. This may sound crazy, but sometimes I feel like my audition or the work I do on a job is better than my talent. Honestly, I feel, at times, God gives me something extra - could be an inflection I hadn't thought of or just a read that I didn't realize I was capable of producing. God provides!

As Dave Ramsey recently said, focused intensity over time multiplied by God = unstoppable momentum!

Hi Mike,

Thank you for commenting and for sharing! I've listened to Dave Ramsey, too. He's very wise and I'm sure much of what he says could have easily been included on our list of resolutions!

I appreciate your reply greatly.

Cheers!

Truth said.
              In a world that glorifies self over the spirit
              In a world that is gradually moving to its end
              In a world where faith is now controversial
              Faith in God gives that needed clarity in the constant chaos.

Thanks for daring to share.

Good Morning Stephanie,

Thanks for keeping the focus on the big picture--great words to live by--Happy New Year to you and yours!

Dan

• Dan Deslaurier
                • December 31, 2009 8:38 AM

I'm focused, more determined than ever & have coined the new year...Two Thousand Zen.

That is exquisite, beautiful and anointed. May God bless you richly this year. Thank you for all your kindness and wisdom. You are appreciated. With love, Julie Evans

• Julie Evans
                    • December 31, 2009 9:59 AM

Dear Sanjo, Dan, Dave and Julie,

Thank you very much for commenting and sharing your thoughts! I am touched to hear from you and pray that you and your families are blessed beyond measure.

• Stephanie Ciccarelli
                      • December 31, 2009 10:16 AM

Hi Stephanie - May your coming year be filled with good health and personal and professional blessings.

Cheers!

David

Help me, Lord, to Talk Less. Listen More.

That is on a small Pass it On message card I picked up at the Christian bookstore for MY stocking.

The bible verse to accompany it is Psalm 37:7:
                          Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for Him.

I grabbed another one (again, with a cute kitty picture) that said:
                          God hears even the smallest voice.

The bible verse to accompany it is Jeremiah 29:12:
                          Call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you.

*That is worth celebrating!

Happy New Year everyone!

Hi David and Ralph,

So wonderful to hear from you both!

Happy New Year and blessings upon your families :) Ralph, talking less and listening more sounds like a great resolution for us all ;)

• Stephanie Ciccarelli
                            • December 31, 2009 12:23 PM

Dear Stephanie and Voices.com team,

Respectfully,
                              Linda

Excellent post here, Stephanie, and I share all your thoughts too. A word about helping young people enter the voiceover industry: I have told actors, singers, and dancers, for many many years, to think about voiceovers as a most viable source of income, much better than waiting tables! I've converted a good many of these young performers to my way of thinking. They had not considered voiceovers as part of their "package" before. Also, I do quite a bit of free work with the community such as a children's program last summer at the Dallas Museum of Art where I taught voice acting to youngsters from ages 7-13. I find that many acting schools neglect totally to include voiceovers in their training of young people. The students think "film, TV, theatre" acting. Voice acting is not included. Each year, I do at least one children's voiceover workshop in Dallas, my home base. This year, I will present this two times. Voice acting "fills the gaps" between jobs for so many people of all ages even if the person does not want to think of voiceovers as their "goal as an entertainer or performer." And in reality, with stars in their young eyes, many are very grateful that they have voiceover skills once they get out in that cold show business world.

Hi Linda and Bettye,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and greetings! The very best to you and yours in 2010 :) Looking forward to seeing you in Dallas, Bettye!

God bless,

• Stephanie Ciccarelli
                                  • December 31, 2009 5:15 PM

Stephanie,
                                    Your thoughtfulness, vision and generosity expand the definition what we all regard as 'business'.
                                    I thank you for setting high standards and for always being a person of good will.

(oh Dave, I like Two Thousand Zen. I'll start throwing that one around!)

We are blessed and lucky.
                                    Vicki

Thanks for your post as it is a good reminder of the many dimensions of opportunity we have to make the world a better place as voice talents.

Being new to the business, I have been spending some time over the holidays establishing my goals for 2010 and clarifying my vision of my business and in the long run.

My vision that consistently resonates - "I am a leading and immediately recognizable voice over talent, specializing in narration, education, and audio books. I am helping millions of people all over the world, feel good about themselves, live a better quality of life, and fulfill their dreams. I am doing this by consistently delivering the highest quality voiced programs in a fun, memorable, professional, and entertaining manner that connects with people at an emotional level."

Gaining clarity in these areas is a big help for me in focusing my efforts and developing my skills and voice over business. Helping the world to be a better place in the process is an immeasurable force that guarantees my success!

You'll be seeing more and more of me as time goes along. Thanks for all your help and support, and make 2010 a great year...

• Ken Budka
                                      • January 2, 2010 10:25 AM

Great words to live by. I hope to work through some challenges in the next couple of months so I can get into the voice over industry.

Dan Gorham Kingston, NY

• Dan Gorham
                                        • January 2, 2010 4:29 PM

Very inspiring Stephanie! Thank you for the words of encouragement
                                          your post as it is a good reminder of the many dimensions of opportunity we have to make the world a better place as voice talents.Your thoughtful industry-wide resolutions warmed my heart. True grace begins within and radiates outwards toward others. May your light continue to shine brightly. Many abundant blessings are wished for you and your family in the new year!
                                          Important phone numbers, http://www.FreePhoneList.com

• Hardy joysan
                                          • January 3, 2010 6:22 AM

Happy New Year to you and yours and all the best for 2010.

Thank you so much for your words of wisdom and I'm sure if we all embrace your common sense but very inspiring 'Industry Wide Resolutions' we can all head towards a successful 2010.

I am not a particularly religious person but I do have a very high standard of moral values and I agree with everything you said. I was particularly struck with the words, "Be someone you would be proud to know". That's kind of how I live my life generally. I really hate to think that anyone would dislike me because I did something bad or would even think I was incompetent at my job. I am going to use your wise words regularly, especially to my teenage kids. They strike a chord and though simple and short, encompass so much. My kids will definitely relate to them.

Thank you again so very much and I hope to meet you and give you a hug later this month in Dallas!

I'm proud of you :)

Hugs

Pearl xx

Good Evening my name is Khalile the 10 value are on point I could put any better my self I'm going to apply them in my world Thank you for your wisdom an please keep it come Stay Strong Happy New year

• Khalile Thomas
                                              • January 4, 2010 10:06 AM

Hello Stephanie,

As the very first post I read only very first visit to the blog, how exciting and affirming to read your suggestions for industry resolutions! As a Christ follower who is just starting to explore the field, I love hearing all of the positive comments from you and others in the field. I'm so excited to start learning, and look forward to reading more from what sounds like a great bunch of future colleagues!!

• Carol Kutcher
                                                • January 4, 2010 10:20 AM

Dear Carol,

Welcome! I'm glad that you found Voices.com and am thrilled that you feel at home already. Please do subscribe by email and we'll be sure to keep in touch!

Absolutely. Each one of these tips has alot to do with making use of the power of belief. The most important quality a person can have, no matter what field of work you are in. Cheers!

This is all very encouraging to see- Your number 2 point was soooo important. It's so critical to keep learning and challenging yourself. If you stop setting goals, then its possible to lose focus of what you really want to do. Keep it up!

• Janet
                                                      • January 5, 2010 10:51 AM

All of the VOX Daily articles have been wonderful but this one is superb! Everything you have taken your readers through here is spot-on; especially resolution# 5...have faith. I too am a devout Christian and my faith and hope are with Jesus. I would be nowhere without our Lord and although it has been a struggle venturing-out into the waters of small business after having worked in corporate business for 30 years, I know with Him in my corner I will make it okay...and so will others who believe in Him.

On behalf of myself, my family and my fellow voice actors I just wanted to thank you for all of the information, guidance and help you have given to us and I wish you, David and your family a happy, healthy, safe and prosperous year in 2010 and beyond!

- Daniel Goldman -

• Daniel Goldman
                                                        • January 5, 2010 3:15 PM

Stephanie,

Well said... Faith is what carries me through this life with all that I do; that and the support and love of a great family and a wonderful, positive 'circle of influence'.

So, I would like to wish everyone a very happy, healthy, safe and prosperous New Year!

-Mike Brassell