For Such A Time As This

March 5, 2010

Woman speaking at a podiumHave you wondered what you are being called to as a professional voice over talent?

Did you know that your vocation to speak means more than just giving lip service to words?

Being who you are with the gifts you have, and living in this time, did not happen by chance.

Just as Mordecai said to Esther in Esther 4:14, you too are here for such a time as this.

What does it all mean? Find out in today's VOX Daily.

For Such A Time As This

Does your destiny include using your voice professionally?

The messages that you read will be heard by audiences, whether large or small, for a purpose. Each message is interpreted by those listening, is used to influence, and will more than likely be acted upon.

When you step back and think about it, every word that passes through your mouth has a purpose, even if the words mean little if anything to you.

Know Where You Stand

Let's get something straight right off the bat: You were born for such a time as this.

Secondly: You are in control of your choices and your actions.

Even though some people in this world send conflicting messages that tear others down, dishonor, promote evil things or blaspheme sacred beliefs, know with confidence that you were born for a time such as this and that you have a choice as to what you read when you're behind that microphone.

The Power of Words

In Proverbs 18:21, the Bible states that the tongue has the power of life and death. Is your mouth a fountain of life or do the words you recite result in pain?

Your words have impact!

Choosing your words wisely, whether they are your words or relaying the words of a copy writer, is of the utmost importance to your life.

The dangers of reading questionable copy and upholding someone else's definition of what is acceptable ultimately spells trouble for those with integrity and for people of faith.

Being Accountable

If someone is recording words they wish they weren't or is proclaiming falsehoods as truth for the sake of money, they need to put an end to it. There is too much at stake for the individual, for the people who love them, and for those who hear their words.

You may have heard that if you do what you love, the money will follow. As artists of the spoken word, using your voice to communicate effectively is what you love. Respecting words and understanding their power, especially the power of the spoken word, is your responsibility.

The voice over industry and its voice talent play a significant role in spreading messages of all kinds.

Encouraging Words

If your goal is to help people, encourage and empower consider this verse:

"Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen." Ephesians 4:29

We could all benefit from this generous reminder of how we ought to treat others and behave when speaking our minds. The message also directly applies to any words that may come from your mouths, including those that appear on the written or typed page.

Remembering that each message shared has a purpose that affects people tends to put things into perspective.

Are You Being Called to a Life of Service Using Your Voice?

How are you using your voice to benefit and build up others according to their needs?

Looking forward to hearing from you,

©iStockphoto.com/Oleg Prikhodko

Related Topics: Bible, Esther, For a Time Such As This, industry, integrity, SAG, service, tongue, voice acting, voiceovers, words

Comments

Thanks for this, Stephanie.
    Whether "live" or recorded...our words...our voices, our presence, can build up or tear down. Let's choose daily to build up.
    We WERE made for such a time as this.
    Nothing happens by chance.
    Shalom,
    Glad Faith Klassen, Voice-Over

Heartfelt and well written. A favorite character of mine once said "...with great power comes great responsibilty." That is even more true in the VO world. When it's your turn to have the mic, what you do with it means more than just having it! This article reminds me of the questions I ask myself with each audition, namely--'Will it entertain or demean? Can it be rehearsed in a room full of children? Will it honor God or at the very least, will my family be proud of the legacy I've left them?'

Thanks, Stephanie, for helping us identify the choices we have...and for giving us the knowledge to know that our 'time' is important!

Thank you for making a beautiful connection between one's career and one's vocation. The point is not only to speak the words, but also to deliver the message.

Thank you, too, for having the strength to support your point with Scripture. I respect your commitment to living your faith, and I hope those with different spiritual and religious backgrounds will, again, focus on the overall message. Well done.

I commend you for being so open with your beliefs, but even taking religion out of it your points are well taken.

There are some companies I just don't believe in. Some which are very famous for their questionable business practices. Others which I've had my own negative experiences with. Notice I don't mention them by name here. I'm pretty open about it if you ask me in the hall. But I don't see what good it would do me to put it in print. In fact, I would probably land in a whole heap of trouble (they have more laywers than I do).

What I can do is pass on auditions. I can recruit other voice talent, who don't share my objections. But I will never take a job doing or saying something that goes against everything I believe in. The money won't be worth it. And, being a recording, it may pop up to haunt you when it's least convenient.

When I saw this part of the site the only word that came to mind was "wow," I can't believe this. I came across your site a week or so ago and have mention it to a couple of friends. I told them that the fact that your site was a teaching one and very user friendly to navigate. I decided to come back to look around again and found Vox Daily. I saw the encouraging words and verses and couldn't believe it. The past several weeks or so I have been asking God to clarify my direction in life. I wanted to best use my time to do something fulfilling and could earn me some money in the process and this industry came to mind. I am very new to it all and would love to hear from someone that would be willing to help along with this new venture. I'm willing to take advice, apply it and work very hard. Stephanie thanks for the post. I look forward to reading more from you.

• Myriam Manigat
            • March 5, 2010 4:40 PM

Loved reading the biblical verses regarding what we do with our words today. I do think before I audition for any project, whether or not this is supporting my values and when it doesn't, I pass no matter how much it pays. I am a wife, a mother and want my voice to propel others to something positive--I can tell when the 'ad' has integrity or not. I believe this is the time to live in the light...and not in darkness.

Thank you Stephanie!

"Our words are meant to give life, encourage and empower others. Why waste your breath on things that are geared to do otherwise?"
                Thank you Stephanie! This is my belief and always has been. How wonderful to see it on your email! I have always said that we have a wonderful gift and a huge responsibility as actors and voice actors. Bless you for taking the time to share 'words that encourage and empower'!
                *)O(*

• Crystina Wyler
                • March 6, 2010 9:44 AM

I've run across these dilemmas many times in my career. Especially in radio, when asked to do endorsements. The pressures put on you can be intense, so I came down to a bottom line that says I will lend my voice for a product or service that people may disagree on liking (an opinion) but not for something that can be clearly harmful(as I see it). The thought of a teenage girl hearing my voice and it influencing her to feel worse about herself or maybe buying a miracle product (that could potentially hurt her body or spirit) just hurts me and in VO , I can pass on the project with one quick glance at the script. I expect that for most products, people will use their good judgment. But thankfully, I don't have to be used for something I clearly think is harmful(to mind, body or spirit).

Namaste,
                  Lisa

• Lisa St. Regis
                  • March 6, 2010 10:20 AM

I know of no one else that so beautifully correlates the world of VO to the Scripture, Stephanie. No matter in which religion one may believe, the deepest meaning of one's small choices creates a value set that will last a lifetime. Thanks for reminding us about the ethics of thinking about the ramifications of using our "tools" of words, inflections, and powerful imagery, but most importantly, it's about being accountable for our choices. At the end of the day, I hope we all choose a path that will create a positive legacy for which we'll be remembered, since each of us was "born for such a time as this."

As Herb Merriweather said in a previous article on Vox Daily, our words should be fitly spoken (Proverbs 25:11) so they can be really useful for others. I always try to remember that when I'm behind the mic. I have the privilege to be a volunteer for AIRS-LATINO, the spanish version of AIRS-LA, where I record beautiful poems for our audience to enjoy. I'm trying to add other kind of recordings like psychology podcasts and anything that could help other in a really good way. I encourage you, my dear friends, to do the same. It is really a great to make good use of our gift and "our" words.

Greetings from Puerto Rico,
                      Pablo Hernandez

• Pablo Hernandez
                      • March 6, 2010 11:48 AM

Courageous!

Stephenie, your comments were outstanding, truthful and" fitly spoken like apples of gold in settings of silver". Proverbs 25:11.

We can either encourage or destroy with our words!

You wove together our profession and Godly principles and I thank you for your encouragement!

larry wayne

Thanks Stephanie, I needed that today. There have been many jobs I have passed on for reason's stated in your article. Which, as a relatively new voice actor has been difficult at times. In today's society the bible is not taken seriously as a teaching tool but whether you are a Christian or not, there are tons of practical applications for life contained in it as you so aptly demonstrated. I work in Christian Radio and as a Worship Pastor at my church where I feel I've been "called" and while I love working in voice overs and get great satisfaction from the work, I have sometimes wondered if I could view this field as a calling as well. Thank you for this Vox Daily which reminds me that "in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." Rom 8:28

Thank you for your politically incorrect and ethically correct assessment of the use of words. I am going to pass this on to my teenagers who seemed to have forgotten how to be nice to each other!
                            Using all of our talents to lift up and not tear down should be everyones goal, but unfortunately is not. My favorite VO work is done for free for churches. I thank you for your "sermon in a minute."
                            May you be abundantly blessed for your courage.

• Michael Maurice
                            • March 6, 2010 1:09 PM

Thanks, Stephanie! A great reminder for all of us and especially for those (like me) who are new to the VO world. Integrity requires conscious decisions to do the right thing.

• Paul Garner
                              • March 6, 2010 1:33 PM

Of all the wonderful postings I've read thus far on Voices,
                                this is my Favorite!!
                                So much Truth here. I can only think of one time that I've turned down a "great opportunity" because even though the money would've been terrific and the work, Steady(!!), it would've required me to compromise my standards as well as my faith.
                                I want very much to use my voice and my abilities to help meet the needs of others. It's great, too, when the work can be entertaining and uplifting! But even when it's business narration, on-hold messaging or a commercial, I can give it what on one else on the planet can....my own unique God-given personality and interpretation. Knowing that I'll get the jobs that God means me to have really helps, too. I can do my best on an audition and move on to the next one regardless of the outcome.
                                Thank you again Stephanie, for your wonderful words, encouragement and insight.
                                Matilda

• Matilda Novak
                                • March 6, 2010 1:46 PM

It is wonderful to see you quoting the Word in your blog. I forwarded your message onto my church's secretary who is also my new business partner in putting the Word and encouraging words on different products. I love that you are ministering to people about the power of words. You know when you tell people about the truth, signs and wonders will follow. May you see His Word work miracles.

Love, Julie

• Julie Evans
                                  • March 6, 2010 2:27 PM

This really resonated with me. Timely too as I am being a lay reader at a special ordination service tomorrow reading from the gospel of John. Two of my ancestors were ministers so maybe there's something in the DNA, Stephanie.

I continue to be called to the pro bono Recording for Blind and Dyslexic ministry. It is so gratifying to learn that something you recorded has made a difference in the life of a blind homebound elder or enabling a college student to graduate.

Peace and blessings,

David

I'm really impressed with your writing skills and the insight you gave to this article. Your spiritual perspective is both spot on and refreshing. I have a new found respect for you !
                                      Blessings,

Bob Jordan

Stephanie,

I’ve been a subscriber for only a few months but had to comment about your newsletter today. WOW. Filled with Biblical references. I loved it. Thank you for sharing these truths with your readers!

Cyndee

• Cyndee Maxwell
                                        • March 6, 2010 2:29 PM

Stephanie;

Amen! I thought perhaps I was alone in thinking this. Good to see yourself too!

bests,

Noel

• Noel Gibilaro
                                          • March 6, 2010 2:30 PM

I just wanted to thank you for sharing God's word through your company. I think God was speaking to me through you today. I retired from teaching junior high this past June. I did it before I was old enough or before I had enough years teaching to get a good retirement. I did it because I was completely burned out and I really felt that God was leading me out of teaching even though that was all I had ever wanted to do and I had loved it for many years. However, my husband has a disability so I still need to earn some money for us to live. My husband and I decided to give me a year to find something else. Otherwise I will be going back to subbing.

I still haven't gotten a job through your service, but I am learning the business. I'm taking classes at Voice One in San Francisco (2 1/2 hours away from my home). This past summer I worked with Don Morrow for a day and got my demo done. Today I got a special invitation to audition through your company and I was thrilled! I'm not certain that I will get the job, but it was exciting to be singled out. Of course, mentally I've redone the audition several times, in different ways, certain that I should have sent in a different demo with different emotions or whatever. :) But, I have to leave these things in God's hands.

It was after I did my audition today that I read this Vox. As a believer, it really spoke to me, particularly the part that said, "you too are here for such a time as this." It was an affirmation for me that this is God's will for me right now. So I just wanted to take a moment to thank you. May God continue to bless your business.

Sincerely,
                                            Lois Johnson

• Lois Johnson
                                            • March 8, 2010 10:16 AM

Dear Friends,

Thank you very much for your support and for sharing your thoughts. I truly appreciate your faith and also for acknowledging that this article has either given you strength, has affirmed or helped you in some way.

Thank you to those who have also acknowledged that the article, while it does quote from Scripture, is truth and is applicable to anyone who has the desire to exercise their morals and beliefs.

Your words have built me up and I am grateful to you with all my heart. To those of you who have written to me personally and not commented here, I thank you also for your support.

You may be wondering why there are no negative comments on this article. The negative feedback received was sent to me via email. It would seem that those individuals chose not to share their words or criticisms here on the blog in public. All comments are welcome here and had they decided to comment publicly, I would have answered them publicly and also given you the opportunity to respond if you so chose.

Thank you again to those of you who have shared your feelings here with our community. You shine like stars in the darkness of the night!

In Him,

Stephanie,

Thank you for the beautiful blog. I have been truly inspired reading it and all of the comments~God's rich blessings to all!

Sandy

I found it interesting that the day after you posted this, I got an invitation to audition for a project that, to me, was dishonest. I was buoyed in my decision to not audition from having read your post. Thank you.

Lucinda

Stephenie! Your Comment is awesome. I would give more points for your comments than this Article :-)

Daniel here. First-off, AMEN to everything you said in this issue of Vox Daily!

Second, in addition to the paid voice-over work I do, I use my voice in Church quite a bit by occasionally filling-in as substitute Pastor / Preaching Elder when needed. Also, as an Elder in my Church I administer communion, by leading the service each time through the entire liturgy and words of institution. I do not get compensated for this (nor would I want to), rather it is part of my duties as an Elder in the Church. I also (frequently-enough) am asked to give eulogies at funerals and 'unfortunately' I have done a couple of these recently. But I do it to help, add comfort and strength and remind others that we should celebrate that person's life despite the grief of their loss.

Also, before I retired from my previous job as a Senior Manager in a corporation, I did a lot of public speaking to audiences of all types... large and small, technical & managerial etc; and no matter the topic my style was always of encouragement.... to build strength and confidence within and among my subordinates and even my superiors, and to promote 'Team' all the way. In retrospect, I feel very good about taking that approach throughout all of those years; and I do likewise today in interpersonal relationships. It is the Godly approach to take and I know I appreciate it when someone speaks to me that way as well.
                                                      What a lift it is to be filled with a 'can-do' attitude, and I immensely enjoy giving that lift to others.... and we all need it!

Thanks again!