Just Send It and Forget It: How You Can Let Go of Auditions!

March 8, 2010

Woman running on the grass with a huge scarf trailing behind herDo ghosts of auditions past linger in the back of your mind?

Have precious time and emotions been wasted contemplating the outcome of a casting call?

While it is human to wonder, fixating on things that are out of your control can be exhausting and make it harder for you to keep moving forward.

How can you liberate yourself from questions such as "what if?" "who got?" and "why not me?"

A number of professional voice over talent have chimed in with their methods and are excited to help! Learn how to move on with the help of some of your friends here at VOX Daily.

Want To Move On?

People have always been a curious lot.

Being curious isn't a bad thing but it is prudent to note that curiosity can get the better of you.

While curiosity can be a healthy thing it can be taken too far and may prove to be point of frustration. This can be especially true when pondering the potential outcome of a job application, auditioning for a role or submitting yourself for consideration... all of which put the ball in someone else's court.

Auditioning requires a boldness to step out and the willingness to become vulnerable in the presence of someone else.

When you give of yourself, there is a certain level of vulnerability that you'll experience. The decision ultimately resides with the person you're trying to please and convince on the other end.

After putting so much of yourself into an audition, it's no wonder you feel curious and want to know what came of your efforts... that being said, auditioning is part of your job as an actor. If you were to spend all of your time worrying about past auditions you'd have time for little else.

How can you get past the audition and move on even though you don't have a definitive answer?

Here's how some VO pros are doing this and how you can too!

Beyond The Audition

"Rejection, what's that? I never get rejected, but sometimes I'm just not the right voice for the gig. Well that's how I look at it."

- Carole Richards

"I always remind myself that it just wasn't a good 'fit'.... and it's simply left time and energy for the right gig to come my way."

- Glad Faith Klassen

"I agree with Carole--I might not be good for THIS project, but I'm perfect for the next one!"

- Herb Merriweather

"It's 'fire and forget.' I have a distinct memory of this when I first started voicing. I had an audition to be 'the voice of a network,' and I was so sure I got it, I was the guy. Of course I never got called back and I was devastated. It was at that moment I decided to make sure I used the fire and forget method. Do the audition as best you can, then forget you ever did it (after logging it, of course). Then if you get the call it is a pleasant surprise. If you don't, you've lost nothing."

- George Washington III

"My 'job' is to supply the best audition I can for a project. Nothing more. After I've done that, it's in the client's hands, to do their job. No point me doing my job AND theirs... which I can't do, anyway, so I'll just stick to mine."

- Ed Cowden

How Do You Move On?

I'd love to hear your thoughts and methodologies.

Warm regards,

©iStockphoto.com/Erik Reis

Related Topics: acting, Auditioning, auditions, how to, letting go, moving on, voice overs

Comments

You have to keep the perspective that it's all subjective. There have been times I've had the opportunity to do two auditions for projects, and the client has preferred the one that I think is completely in left field. So even though I give myself emotionally to a role, I'm non-attached to it after my performance. It is or it isn't, period. And all you can do is move on to the next one. Odds are, their time-frame is so wide anyway that by the time you find out if you got the part, you hardly remember auditioning! Just focus on constantly honing your craft AND your business skills, and you won't have time to worry about it - you'll be too busy with clients.

"No." Doesn't mean no. It means not today.

• Alexa Martindale
      • March 8, 2010 8:05 PM

It takes more effort to remember auditions you've done, than it does to forget them. It's not like there aren't dozens of new auditions to do each day--not to mention jobs!

Each "no" gets me closer to a "yes"! After all, it's a numbers game, and they can't all be yeses!

I've learned how to have a thick skin.....something I never thought I was capable of....but it feels good to be able to go to an audition and then let go.

Debbie

• Debbie Irwin
          • March 9, 2010 9:30 AM

What everyone says here so far is absolutely on point. Know in your heart that you performed at your best, and that's all you can do! Like Dori sang while she and Nemo faced one predicament after another in the movie "Finding Nemo", "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming".
            Thanks lor listening,
            Bobbin Beam

One just has to develop a thick skin. You don't even know if your submission has been heard, let alone considered. I consider auditions to be another chance to get to play in front of a mic! Even if my read only serves to make another talent look better I've done something positive for VO!

It's natural to seek approval; of your family, peers, society in general. As Voice Artists, we operate in an unsure, insecure environment. It's important to remember that it takes a certain level of self-confident above and beyond the average person just to do what we do so well.

I remind myself with each audition that I am an excellent Talent and Producer. My successful ratings Track-Record over 30 years in radio interspersed with two multi-year periods of record-breaking sales of services in other fields assures me that I can succeed at anything I do.

Voice casting is subjective (Beauty is in the Eye of the beholder..) I might not be a producers choice for any given audition, but if they don't choose me, it's their loss. And their audition becomes fair game for some my best demo material!

Most of the time it's "send and forget" but there are a few that I may feel a special attachment to or felt I was "perfect" for the job and didn't get the gig. Those few will nag at me for a while, but eventually I'll just convince myself that it just wasn't meant to be. Then I'll get online, fire up a good FPS and kill a bunch of virtual enemies. There, all better!

It's not a personal thing. They are looking for the right voice for their project.

There are times though when I feel really connected to a project and I think I nailed the audition. If I don't get the job....I just audition for two more!

I don't take it personally when I don't get a gig, and the same goes for when I get it.

• Charles Kahlenberg
                      • August 19, 2011 2:17 PM

We've either got what they want or not. If not...'Taint personal

• Phillip A. Rudolph
                        • August 20, 2011 12:48 PM

Next!!!

• Scott Martin
                          • August 20, 2011 12:48 PM

Realize that this business is not about me and prepare for the next audition.

• Gail Washington
                            • August 20, 2011 12:49 PM

I still wonder why we spend so much to have a great demo when it seems as if clients only want to hear their scripts anyway.....

• Karen O'Neill Velasquez
                              • August 20, 2011 12:49 PM

It is funny that you should mention this today, because I did an audition and the client sent me a message that they loved my voice, but decided to give it to someone else.... at that point, I say, so close and yet so far... next!

• Greta Mellerson
                                • August 20, 2011 12:49 PM

You can't take it personally...keep on truckin'!! :))

• Bryony Rowling
                                  • August 20, 2011 12:50 PM

Keep on Keepin' On!

• Dan Deslaurier
                                    • August 20, 2011 12:50 PM

With VO, it's a numbers game. I sometimes go 100+ auditions with nothing, and then book 3 in a row. I just make sure I give it 100% every time. If it doesn't fit, it doesn't fit. It's not about "rejection". For on-camera auditions, it's the same thing. If I can walk out of the room saying "if they don't book me, it's not because of anything I did or didn't do" -then I know I gave it my best shot. Ideally they watched and said: "Wow, we could have shot THAT.". I know I've done a good VO when they use my audition and pay me for it... That's happened twice this year.