Awesome Voice Over Videos: Acoustics 101

April 21, 2010

Need some help treating your audio recording studio?

In this awesome video, RØDE Microphones founder and company president Peter Freedman gives you a quick DIY class on improving room acoustics!

How To Sound Better On a Dime

Recording at home while sounding professional can be an effort at times but you can do it! Using basic and inexpensive materials Peter Freedman of Rode Microphones demonstrates how to turn a fairly standard room environment into a make-shift vocal booth.

Has this demonstration helped?

Do you have anything to add as per suggestions or recommendations?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Related Topics: acoustics, booth, how to, Microphones, microphones, Peter Freedman, rode, room treatment, soundproof, soundproofing, voice overs, YouTube

Comments

This was very helpful. Thanks much.

• Carole
    • April 22, 2010 3:02 PM

How cool is that! So much better than my "tent of anti-sound" that I built with PVC pipe and moving pads.

Jim

• Jim Dunn
      • April 22, 2010 6:53 PM

Thanks Peter & Stephanie, that's another great home studio set-up idea.

Now (after I got her to view your video) my ever patient wife finally knows I'm NOT completely mad with what I'm up to.

Regards,
        IAN in Oz.

Great video! Very helpful.

• Mike Buckley
          • July 27, 2010 11:56 AM

You may want more than the two corner eyelets in the top edge. Another problem you may find is the batting/filling sagging inside the duvet cover. You could try putting the batting in first and then punching the eyelets through the batting. However, the batting may be too thick for that to work. So, do a little trial and error and find a way to pin, tack, or sew the top edge of the batting in the duvet cover so it doesn't sag.

• Jerome Santucci
            • July 27, 2010 1:15 PM

MASS MASS MASS... I built my studio in the basement on 16" centers, firestopped and screwed.. no nails. A layer of 3/8 and 1/2" gypsum overlaying each other so seems aren't parallel. R13 stuffed on both walls between the Control Room and Live Room with a 2" air gap. Window is 2 panes of different sized glass on an A . Non Parrallel walls with custom made treatments to resolve room build up issues with sound. Build 1996. Still sounds as a good as any NYC studio I've worked in. Good Video.

Peter Freedman you rock! I own an NT1A and I love it..........your information was delivered in an entertaining format and the visual and audio differences were remarkable! Bravo to your tutorial and product! (and thanks Stephanie)

Here's another happy NT1A user. Duvets everywhere, but not actually behind the mike. So that's a good tip I'm taking up today. Eyelets ahoy! Thank you Peter for the helpful video and a great mike that gets jobs.

Terrific video! Love my Rode NT1-A also!!!!

• E J Marr
                    • June 16, 2011 11:35 AM

This information is bad information.

The room acoustics are just as bad at the end, as they were at the beginning. LISTEN.

I've been an acoustician for 30 years, and in no way are some bed sheets and some fluffy 3/4" Dacron fill that you can see through, will improve your rooms reflective acoustics.

• Mike Sommer
                      • June 17, 2011 11:57 AM

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your feedback and input. If anyone else feels that this video is providing bad information, please say so and we'll look into whether we should be removing it as a resource.

I like how, in the video, Peter is trying to create for the viewer an awareness of room acoustics, proximity and sound dynamics, and how the environment you are performing in does affect your recording. More valuable tho, is when, toward the end of the video, he focuses on his own proximity to the mic. As I understand VO acoustics, I don't necessarily need to be inside a sound-proof booth--my voice (and my microphone) does! I think deadening the room helps, but creating a better environment with your proximity to the mic is what the focus should be...Thanks Peter and Stephanie!