Tips For Doing a Voice Over Session via Skype

April 15, 2010

Skype logoDid you know that you can be directed by a client over Skype if need be?

In today's VOX Daily, we'll be exploring how you can do this and also be providing real examples of projects that have been completed in this manner.

You don't need to have ISDN anymore simply to be directed remotely.

Want to learn more? Read on!

Ever Done a VO Session Directed via Skype?

Technology is a wonderful thing.

With tools such as Skype, you can receive artistic direction from a client who lives halfway around the world in real time! Geography is no longer a boundary and if both you and your client have Skype, you can do this for free. All you need to do is download Skype, add whoever it is that you want to talk to as a contact and you're all set!

Here's a video of the final product promoting tourism for Macau featuring a voice over that was directed via Skype, performed by voice over talent Christian Lee, an American VO based in Singapore.

On his YouTube channel, Christian writes, "I love technology! I was directed over a skype phone call, and it's seems to get easier and easier to get recording sessions done, without everyone having to meet in one place."

Here's What a VO Session Sounds Like Directed via Skype

Voice over pro Terry Daniel posted one of his sessions online to show you what a session that is being directed via Skype can sound like.

Tips For Doing Voice Over Sessions Using Skype

"I believe we are not far from the technology where the talent is on one end of a large screen, client is on another, and director is on another, and perhaps other talents on big screens all working on the same project. What an opportunity to utilize global talents. Also, for myself, who is located in Hawaii."

- Deb Weiser

"I do that in iChat on my Mac, twice a week with 4 different TV affiliates...everyone receives the same audio feed."

Mike Elmore

"Always put a marker on your timeline for each and every take and never delete anything until it is over."

Bob Hurley

Do You Have Any Tips To Share?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Related Topics: acting, business, direction, feedback, ISDN, session, Skype, TV, voice overs, YouTube

Comments

I've done sessions via Skype before. I took my little netbook into the booth, logged into Skype, plugged in a pair of ipod earphones and wore my own headphones over the top. The netbook's mic picked up my chat with the client - It was just like having talkback on an ISDN session!

As soon as we were done, I edited the track to take out my one-sided part of the conversation and the client had their file within an hour of our session ending.

What makes Skype special is the is not only encrypts the voice stream, as does iChat, but it also uses the latest HD VoiP methods.

POTS and standare VoiP only use the 100Hz to 3KHz range. HD VoiP goes from 100Hz to 6KHz, which for voice makes a world of difference and exactly matches the quality of ISDN which is why ISDN has always been the preferred method and required expensive equipment.

This is good news for VO artists who will not longer need to be tethered to ISDN. There are new developments coming to HD VoiP which will eliminate the stutters and the echos completely later this year. Stay tuned and be sure to asked your VoiP provider is they support standardized HD VoiP.

Can anyone walk me through this? I did a session with Skype but because Skype runs through the computer there was no way to get the slight "phone noise" out of the way for a clean voice. I'm trying to brainstorm how to hear Skype but not record it while recording the session.

Did that make any bit of sense? :)

• Lisa
        • April 15, 2010 10:47 PM

I have a regular client in Sweden who insists we conduct our sessions over Skype, and I love it. My client gets exactly what he is looking for, and I get good, live direction. I have also had client meetings using Skype video chat; that's like bringing your client into your studio, and it never fails to impress and satisfy the clients.

Great article today!
          Scooter

Lisa,
            If you use Kristal Audio Engine (free) and ASIO4All drivers (also free), you will be able to selectively record only the "inputs" you want. This can be done on a netbook with a USB microphone for recording, and the netbook audio for Skype.
            ~fss

• Fred Symington
            • April 16, 2010 1:11 PM

One thing that was missed in this article. When you use the same computer to Skype AND record you run the risk of having phone line noise in the mix. Make sure you go to your recording software options and set it to record from an external source, (The microphone you're speaking into) NOT the computer. If you're recording your voice AND the directors, you've got problems. They must be separated.

• Corky
              • April 17, 2010 1:00 PM

One thing to note is that Skype can call land line phones too. I was not aware of this initially. It's not free, like Skype-to-Skype calls, but it's still very cheap.

A really basic way to bring in a Skype session as a "phone patch" (if you use Pro Tools) is to split your PC's speaker out jack and plug them into L and R input #2 jacks on your Mbox (or mixer, I suppose). This keeps the Skype session as a completely separate track from your own recording. Then, your L and R output should go into the Mic jack on your PC.

Monitor knob then controls your output level to them, and Input 2 knob controls their level in to your second audio track. You would then listen to both you and the Skype session in your headphones, using your mic for both recording your track and audio output to Skype.

There is a bit of line noise, (and sometimes general Skype VOIP digitizing) but the people over Skype can't hear it. Plus, you don't bounce down the Skype track to your final output, so as long as you can hear the direction and they can hear you, it works great!

I also use this setup for my coaching sessions with Marc Cashman. I can then go back and listen to the entire session again and have captured all of his comments on my takes.

Helpful stuff, big thanks! Here's a query from a newcomer: Skype audio is so much better than it used to be. Mine is good to 11kHz and noise is well down. Are VO artists using it to actually deliver their tracks, whether in real time or from file? Howard, UK.

Dear Stephanie,

I didn't have my own studio until 9 months ago when I relocated to Philippines and set up at home.

Prior to that I used to live in Dubai where I had a decend list of regular clients - but all studios. Using Skype, I can still count those studios among my clients.

The studios still invite their clients to the recording and they still record the whole session over the Skype link - while I'm recording the "clean" version and my end - just as if I was in their booth.

When the studio's client is happy, I wrap up my recording and shoot it over there.

Easy.

Regards

Chris.

• Chris Thornton
                    • April 26, 2010 9:11 AM

I bought a "Skype online number", that's a phone number in the US (or in any country supported by their network).

Clients dial in, I receive the call via Skype in my studio in Bogota, Colombia, and there's your phone patch!

• Jorge Velasco
                      • May 19, 2010 9:19 AM

Thanks the video and the clear explanation are a big help in understanding how this works on Skype, must say they are actually improving quality after a long period of seemingly stagnant quality issues

I know it's only a matter of messing with it, but for some reason, I can only get either my voice.....or what's playing. Never both. If anyone knows a way of running two separate channels into Skype, please let me know......

I operate a voiceover agency in Tokyo, where recording is done almost entirely by "local" talent, with the clients, ad company people, and others in a studio -- along with, of course, the director -- and the voiceover artist. Sometimes the client(s) will travel all the way from Osaka at a cost of, say a couple of thousand dollars for the recording.
                            OK, so the Japanese industry is really insular. They want "hands" on.
                            Skype offers a way of expanding the possibilities for voices -- AND the client doesn't have to leave his offices. But there is one big question. In the case of high projects -- TV commercials -- the Japanese like to hear the music, see how the voice and the visuals interact all at the same time. Here in Tokyo, in the case of TV commercials (not necessarily other things) , they don't let you out of the studio until they can both see and hear the basic result, prior to some tweaking on the board.

Comments anyone? And yes. I am looking for voices for my clients.

Doing a skype v/o session with mac g 5 ppc and
                              Pro tools via mbox , i guess i should get
                              web cam rather my sony hd hand cam , but
                              I am so used to ISDN ....can i use my majic jack
                              as the voip from a macbook pro and record
                              on different computer?