3 Reasons Why Audio Recording Rocks

August 23, 2010

Man behind a microphone and pop filterDo you love audio recording?

Working on-camera last week deepened my appreciation for what many of us take for granted in audio recording.

Why does audio recording rock? I'll tell you 3 reasons why in today's VOX Daily.

Why We Love Audio Recording

Last week, I spent a full day on-camera and learned a number of things with regard to differences between audio and video from a performers point of view.

1. Editing is Your Friend

One of the things I love most about audio recording, for voice over in particular, is that you are able to make edits in the file to engineer the perfect take. Breathes, coughs and the like can be edited out and you can even shave off sibilance. With audio editing, you can take part of one word and put it on another word that needs that consonant should it not have come across clearly. If you needed to, you could even speed up your voice a notch.

2. Comfort Often Dictates Your Attire

As much fun as dressing up is, sometimes it is comforting to know that what you wear doesn't factor much into the recording or how the audience will receive the finished product. You could be having a bad hair day and no one would know. Likewise, you could have no hair and no one would know.

3. Nobody Sees You

Being off camera has many advantages as we've just explored, one of which being that no one sees you while you're recording a voice over and the audience likely never will see you, period. You could be flailing your arms about and no one would know. For those of us sensitive to how one might appear when doing a character voice, you can feel free to "make the ugly face" as Deb Munro puts it without fear of scrutiny.

Benefits We Take For Granted

While these benefits may be obvious, it is so easy to take them for granted. Sometimes you don't realize what you have until either it's gone or you're having to do things a different way!

What do you love most about working in audio production?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

©iStockphoto.com/Julie Weiss

Related Topics: audio, microphone, pop filter, recording, voice acting, voice overs, voices.com

Comments

I'm recording at the moment, with a nasty chest infection. So here I am sitting in my jim-jams and bad hair, in fact bad everything!

I love the fact that I can record little by little, between coughing bouts and drinking honey and lemon, and my client will never know!

• carole
    • August 24, 2010 8:20 AM

Audio recording is Magical. When I record my elementary school students for our art room newsletter podcasts, I see in their faces the curiousity and wonder ("that doesn't sound like me!") that I felt when I made my first recordings on a casette player years ago. The power to express yourself with spoken words, and the satisfaction I see with children, (and feel,myself,) with words spoken well, is what makes Audio Recording an art to me.

Great topic Stephanie!

Dan

I love it because it's where artistry and technology meet.

• Steve Powell
        • August 24, 2010 8:59 AM

There are so many different ways to voice audio recordings. You could be doing a corporate narration one minute, and you could be a 7 eyed, three toed alien, the next! How cool is that?!

The setup for audio recording is so simple and the number of people involved in making it happen is amazing. I can record audio in my own studio, by myself, using a mic and a computer...with no one else around... not so easy to do with video which requires a more elaborate setup complete with cameras, mics, proper lighting etc... and more people to operate everything.

Theater of the mind! The sounds set the scene, and the listener's imagination takes over.

• Jim Feldman
              • August 24, 2010 10:44 AM

I love it because it's where artistry and technology meet. I love it because it's where artistry and technology meet.

***and yes I ripped that straight off Steve Powell and Jim Feldman...lol...my sentiments and reasoning exactly.

• Mike Elmore
                • August 24, 2010 10:44 AM

Jim: My words exactly! How did you do that?

• Steve Easley
                  • August 24, 2010 10:45 AM

Because as a voice actress, I can be anything or anybody -- from a mischievous little kid to an ancient talking dragon. And I don't even have to get out of my pajamas to do it.

Hey Stephanie,

One of my absolute favorites is the portability factor. On occasion, my wife and I tune-in to a show called House Hunters International, which always gets me thinking about places I would like to live or own a second home, etc. You could literally be a voice professional from anywhere in the world that offers internet access.

Back in the 90's, my wife and I purchased a 35 sailboat and lived aboard in Marina del Rey, CA for 5 years. Awesome times, and memories to last a lifetime. One of my clear visions for my future is to purchase another, larger boat, one that is large enough to build a small recording studio. This way, we can live aboard in the likes of Bora Bora, and keep working while we sail around the South Pacific and beyond...

I'm currently looking for an inspiring picture of a recording studio on a sailboat to add to my dream board here in my studio. Pass it along if you happen to have one.

Ken

As a little girl, I played with my tape recorder and "produced" audio skits or on-the-spot interviews with my sisters and neighborhood friends. I had no idea I was laying the groundwork for a future career.
                        Only this time, I use broadcast-quality production tools and the audience reaches far beyond my little corner of the world!

Voice, edit, upload.
                        All from the comfort of my private, WhisperRoom-enhanced studio.

Its fun,entertaining and lets you let it all out.

• Jack Hamlett
                          • August 24, 2010 6:11 PM

As a voice actor, you can be rich and famous while remaining totally anonymous! :)

• Karen Commins
                            • August 24, 2010 9:06 PM

I like it because sound can be so powerful. It invokes theater of the mind. With spoken word, music and sound effects you can create so much!

• Mike Laponis
                              • August 26, 2010 6:33 PM

I have always been fascinated with creating a character/personality utilizing only my voice.

• Fred Symington
                                • August 26, 2010 6:33 PM

1. I control the quality, delivery, and price of my product.
                                  2. I appreciate the reward of repeat business.
                                  3. And I can do all that behind the mic!

- rock on!

• Noel Gibilaro
                                  • August 26, 2010 6:34 PM

At a young age my mother taught me how to cook; I've been fascinated with it since-- I believe voice over’s are very similar. In what way do you ask? Or don’t ask, I will ramble anyway. When cooking, you can be as creative, or not, as you want.--the very same way with the human voice. For us, it’s not just the voice over that we have the pleasure of doing, it’s also the production side of things. We’ve love to produce!—cooking up a great multi-track session is the best! And of course, using hyphens whenever and wherever we can--.

There are so many facets of recording; I wanna talk more but its supper time in our house. Later!