Do You Keep Voices.com Time?

September 22, 2010

World clock displaying London, Paris, Jerusalem and MoscowAt Voices.com, we serve a global membership base and as such there are talent and clients registered with us who live in virtually every time zone.

When I was at VOICE 2010, I learned that some talent work their businesses around when our offices are open in London, ON Canada.

Learn more about how one voice talent overseas manages their time and keeps the pulse, or minute hand, one the activities at Voices.com in today's VOX Daily.

What Time is it Where You Are?

Depending on where you live, the hours we share with you during the course of your day may be numerous or few.

What you see below of this text is the clock that Andy Boyns, who lives in Istanbul, Turkey, uses to remember what time it is at Voices.com and when he can contact us. Andy uses a world clock on his computer and includes New York time on his desktop. The time zone for New York is the same time zone for where we are near Toronto in London, Ontario Canada.

Istanbul time as compared to New York time, displaying Istanbul local time as 17:15 (5:15 p.m.) and New York time as 10:15 a.m.

Andy shared, "Having these on my desktop has helped me to tune in to what folks are doing, and I can actually guess the current time pretty accurately... it's quite nice to have the thought during the afternoon that you in London, Ontario are just starting work... and maybe our voiceover friends in California are just starting to wake up. Knowing how your day cycle differs from mine also gives me an empathy with how your day might be going, and reduces any frustration I might otherwise feel if I want to get hold of someone,"

Andy goes on to say, "In terms of relative time zones, living in Turkey is perfect. I am able to do a full day's work before yours starts, and my free time in the evening coincides with your working day, so I can potentially have two working days for just living one. How cool is that?"

What Time Zone Are You In?

I'd love to hear about where you are. If there is a 12 hour difference, or a difference that makes it hard to get in touch, how could we be serving you better?

Looking forward to hearing from you,

©iStockphoto.com/Vladimir Sinenko

Related Topics: Andy Boyns, clock, Istanbul, New York, time zones, Voices.com

Comments

I'm in the Central Time zone. That means it's 10:35 am, I've been in my home office working since 7 am and it's time for a mid morning break. =)

• Peggy Tisone
    • September 22, 2010 11:43 AM

Sydney Australia - it's approaching 2am.

• Trish McFerran
      • September 22, 2010 11:56 AM

Hi,

I'm in the UK just approaching 19:30 here!

J

• Jay
        • September 22, 2010 2:22 PM

I'm in England, so I put an app on my BlackBerry that gives me any number of world clocks, that I've set to the time of the city or country of the client with which I'm working at any given time!

Works a treat!

:D

Dear Stephanie,

Part of the year I am on London, Greenwich Mean Time..and the rest of the year I am on Florida, Gulf Coast time!

I signed up for your email and I do believe someday I will make a voice recording and register properly!

Whatever time zone you are in, have a blessed day,

Kathleen

• Kathleen Smith
            • September 23, 2010 12:24 PM

Checking in from Southern California and the Pacific Time Zone. Wishing everyone in whatever "zone" you're in an excellent and productive day.
              Best,
              Bobbin Beam, Voice Actress

...checking in from 'The Hole' here in Los Angeles...we keep 'mad scientist' hours here--normally whatever time zone our customers are in, they hear from us within 3-5 hours because ...'We never close--but, we DO nod off from time to time...'

I'm based in New Zealand, which means I get a great morning working during your afternoon, and then can be with my kids when they come home from school. I can also check in during the evening, and often complete jobs for clients while they sleep, so that a recording is on their desk first thing in their morning. The best of both worlds!

It's really important to maximise the advantages of working in different time zones! It can make for a great lifestyle and happy clients.

Sweet dreams,
                  Vanessa (2pm on a sunny afternoon)

Hi Guys,

Coming from Sydney, Australia does give us a few extra hours at times.. But I notice a lot of the best gigs coming in at 2am when the voice isn't really "working" any longer *GRIN*.

All the best to our VO colleagues "up-over"...

Cheers
                    Andy C
                    That Aussie VO Guy

• Andy C
                    • September 24, 2010 2:42 AM

Wow! Andy Boyns must be an Iron Man. Imagine being happy where he lives because, given the time difference between Istanbul and EDT, he can get in two working days to our one. Maybe that's a metaphor for how we North Americans may have "gotten soft" in our world leading affluence.

Me? I can only do one day in one day. And with Voice Over, that "one day" is preferably before noon.

I'm just sayin'.

Mike Hanson

• Mike Hanson
                      • September 25, 2010 3:16 PM

The best of times... the worst... Here in Devon UK we are five hours ahead in summertime. So I check for Canada/USA jobs up to 10.30 pm here, by when I reckon most of your producers are heading home. Or are they? Somebody please tell me! Howard.