How Much Water Do You Drink in a Week?

September 27, 2010

Athletic woman and man drinking bottled waterHow much water do you drink in an average week while working as a professional voice actor?

At the Voices.com offices, we have a really neat water cooler that dispenses cold and hot water. Every couple of weeks, a water service comes to our office and removes the empty bottles, replacing them with more aqua... just how much more, I'll let you discover!

I'm really curious to hear about your water consumption habits too. Be sure to comment and let us know!

H2O

Water is very important. Being hydrated is not only a healthy thing but it also keeps you going strong when using your voice, whether you're on the phone talking to a customer, are auditioning or recording a gig.

At Voices.com, we consume approximately 10 gallons of water as a team over the course of a week.

Each bottle that we receive contains 5 gallons of water. Between the 12 of us here, we go through 2 of these bottles each week, effectively consuming 10 gallons of water over the course of 5 business days.

Some of this water is consumed as is while many also use it for tea thanks to the handy water heating option.

What About You?

Now that I've shared what our water consumption is like, how much water, whether it be straight from the tap, boiled for tea or otherwise do you consume in your studio on a given day or week?

Spritzer bottles count too! Don't forget those when tabulating your consumption.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

©iStockphoto.com/Олег Решетняк

Related Topics: aqua, drinking, H2O, hydration, refreshing, talent, voice, voice overs, Water

Comments

Water? Um, none. Diet Coke for me, please.

• Larry O'Brien Robertson
    • September 27, 2010 2:16 PM

5 gallons?

• Sharon Young
      • September 27, 2010 2:16 PM

Have to keep hydrated--for general health and to control mouth sounds! Nothing carbonated, dairy-based or too hot/cold. I'd guess about four gallons of water a week, Stephanie.

• Robert Ready
        • September 27, 2010 2:17 PM

‎7 to 8 gallons a week. Maybe more. I get dehydrated easily...

• Erica Risberg
          • September 27, 2010 2:18 PM

It's about 2 litres a day, about 14 litres a week although sometimes I am little short, no alcohol, only juice with water added, coffee only sometimes once or twice a week.

• Carol Ann Nicholls
            • September 27, 2010 2:18 PM

When I did my voice-over demo, I drank a six-pack of Hamm's. Oh yeah, is it voiceover, voice-over or voice over?

• Mark Gizel
              • September 27, 2010 2:19 PM

Great question. As a voice coach and performer, I have researched this question extensively and have the following recommendations which I share with all of my clients. Enjoy:

• Shyla Nelson
                • September 27, 2010 2:20 PM

Interesting question. I have a 52 oz. container in the booth at all times (room temp.) and I refill once, drinking a large portion of that, if not all. Thus I am at about 80 oz. a day.

One litre a day. Should be two. Home carbonated to enjoy it, but flat if I am not to fizz and bubble a narration. Green tea, no milk, is a handy wakeup for those 2 am jobs (never coffee), but all tea dehydrates, canceling out the water! Good to know you have such a healthy team.

Howard Ellison.

• Howard Ellison
                    • September 28, 2010 10:12 AM

Our bodies are 93% water. I have water at my side almost always. I personally drink at least a gallon per day. I get antsy if I don't have water! Water is not only needed for voiceover work, but it's critical to overall health and skin to hydrate from the inside out.
                      All The Best,
                      Bobbin Beam

Hello Stephanie ...

I drink at least 60 ounces of water a day! It's GREAT not only for the clarity and stamina of my voice but my skin feels so much softer and skin care products are more effective when I'm hydrated. And the health benefits of drinking a lot of water daily are tremendous. It's something I started noticing when I decided to really push to drink that 60+ ounces of water a day. The only problem? ... I can't stand or sit for loooooong periods at a time, needing to take those much-needed breaks. Why? You figure it out!!!!!!!!!!!

Paula Burke

• Paula Burke
                        • September 28, 2010 1:00 PM

Mountain Dew Baby

• Sean Sullivan
                          • September 28, 2010 2:09 PM

My voice is lubricated by the good people at Diet Coke, about ten liters per week. Of course, for that great movie trailer sound, a good gin and tonic never hurt! :)

• J. Michael Collins
                            • September 28, 2010 2:10 PM

I'll be the first to admit I don't drink enough water despite being barraged with advice to do so. I do love Diet Coke and Mountain Dew as well. Mainly though I keep the Folgers company in business. Coffee is my beverage but I've heard countless times about the dangers of caffeine to the voice. I do slug a good bottle of water before recording though and that helps.

• Larry Long
                              • September 28, 2010 2:10 PM

I tend to wander through the house with an insulated tumbler full of ice-water at all times. I cannot quantify it beyond, "quite a bit," though.

• Brett Cammack
                                • September 28, 2010 2:11 PM

I have one of those 1-quart Rubbermaid water bottles...I drink a minimum of 2 throughout the day, sometimes start on a third.

• John McLain
                                  • September 28, 2010 2:11 PM

I like water. Some times by itself, but mostly with Scotch.

I tend to drink 1 part Scotch to 4 parts water.

To ensure I drink at least 8 ounces of water a day---as recommended by Health Canada, Particpaction and my mom, I have my two Scotch & Waters as described above. I get hydrated plus a little buzz on at the same time. And you thought men weren't good at multi-tasking.

Mike Hanson

• Mike Hanson
                                    • September 28, 2010 5:39 PM

Its hot here in sunny & tropical Singapore. I drink a minimum 2 litres of water everyday and that goes up to 2.5 litres or more on work-out days. Room temperature most of the time, no coffee or tea cos I dislike the taste.

• Sue Menon
                                      • September 29, 2010 12:16 AM

LOTS of water. I start with a fresh bottle each morning and continually refill it from the larger bottles. I go through 4 to 5 each day while working to stay hydrated. For mouth noise I gargle with Alkolol.