Edge Studio Presents the Voice Over Words-to-Hours Converter

October 26, 2010

Edge Studio Group PictureHave you ever wondered how long it might take you to record a given script?

If all you are armed with is a word count, the script of number of lines, have no fear... Edge Studio's voice over words-to-hours converter is here!

Take a look at this reference chart and see if you can make use of the information for your voice over career.

The Voice Over Words-to-Hours Converter

Note well: This is an estimate helper.

This handy-dandy converter for speech, line, word count, and reading time helps you determine HOW LONG THE COMPLETED script will be.

Edge Studio recommends that you only use this information as a guide. Rates vary greatly due to script, context, vocal delivery, and so on.

This chart is based upon: 12 point Arial, double-spaced, margin-to-margin.

Speech Count

๏ Average person reads 3 words per second (range is 2 to 4)
๏ Average person reads 88 words per half-minute (range is 60 to 120)
๏ Average person reads 170 words per minute (range is 135 to 215)
๏ Average person reads 10,320 words per hour (range is 8,625 to 12,030)

Line Count

๏ Average number of lines per page: 21
๏ Average number of lines per 30-second spot: 7.5
๏ Average number of lines per 60-second spot: 15

Word Count

๏ Average words per line: 13 (range is 8 to 18)
๏ Average words per page: 273 (range is 168 to 378)

Reading Time

๏ Average reading time per line: 4 seconds
๏ Average reading time per page: 85 seconds

Let me know! I'm sure the team at Edge Studio would love to hear from you here on this posting.

Photo via Edge Studio

Related Topics: acting, Edge Studio, quoting, reading, resource, voiceovers, words-to-hours converter

Comments

I use this terrific tool from Edge Studio whenever a client requests a quote and all they have is a word count. I typically convert the words to a time increment and base my quote on the length of the increment. No complaints, yet.

Edge studio are a great bunch and live working with them, so great to see this post!

• Posy Brewer
      • October 26, 2010 6:03 PM

Edge Studio is a great group of professionals that are ready to help.
        They keep all their info very relevant for VO performers.

Big thanks to Stephanie and the crew at Edge Studios for this great resource. Now I can quote with some intelligence!

This is EXCELLENT! Thanks!!!

• Michelle Falzon
            • October 27, 2010 2:41 PM

Stephanie & Gang:

Thanks for the handy-dandy counter guide. I find the Line Count and the Reading Time to be most helpful, inasmuch as time and timing are of the essence, as it is often said. Hope you are all well!

• Jay Elzweig
              • October 27, 2010 4:04 PM

Yes. Thank you. I will keep this. And it works out pretty close. I just did a Christmas Story for Children audiobook that came out to 6 minutes and 20 seconds for 1000 words.

Jeany

• Jeany Snider
                • October 27, 2010 4:09 PM

The Words to hours chart is a handy quick reference.

Thanks to Edge Studios and you for passing it along.

Mike Hanson

• Mike Hanson
                  • October 27, 2010 4:10 PM

Just 48 hrs ago I had to quote on a large eLearning job and this was my exact problem! A friend put me onto Edge Studio's website, and problem solved! A very clever wee resource. I'm looking forward to diving into more of the information on their website. Thanks!

• Vanessa Wells
                    • October 27, 2010 4:38 PM

It's a great tool. Edge Studio is a a tremendous resource! Thanks for sharing this Stephanie!

Typically, I use word count on which to base costs. However, this is a really useful adjunct to have, many thanks Stephanie, and to Edge Studio for sharing!

As a copywriter and voice-actor, I agree with the numbers above. I'd also like to add that it varies based on the amount of syllables in a word, and that numbers count as words when they are said aloud. So repeating that phone number 3 or 4 times greatly increases the length of a spot.

And to copywriters and clients: just because you can fit 90 words into a :30 spot doesn't mean you should. Keep it conversational. Just because a talent can speed through your copy doesn't mean it sounds good...and won't increase the retention of your message.

I read too fast most times, I mean REALLY fast, so this is a GREAT tool to let me know where I SHOULD be.

thanks

• Josef Loewinsohn
                            • December 21, 2010 9:59 AM

By day I am the head of Audio Production/Client Creative Services for a very busy Ad Agency in Dallas. I am going to send this to ALL my Account Executives & Writers. 90% of copy I get from the outside times out long. :38 sec. for a 30 spot & 1:20 sec. for :60 spot. If you are an editor, you know how maddening this can be. If the read is too fast, my client's money is wasted. This guideline will surely help! Thanks Edge Studios!!