iAudition App Helps You Audition On The Go

November 19, 2010

iAudition App IconHave you heard of the new iPhone app, iAudition?

Designed by voice over artists for voice over artists, iAudition enables you to cut audio files on the go to send to your agent, casting directors and more!

There's a cool way that iAudition can be used in conjunction with your membership at Voices.com.

Learn more in today's VOX Daily.

iAudition, an app released in iTunes on October 31, 2010, was made by voiceover artists for voiceover artists. I had a very exciting phone call with the creators and developers of iAudition and learned more about why they developed iAudition and also about how the app may evolve in the future.

The voice talents who developed iAudition are Marc Aflalo of Montreal, Canada and Mitchell Whitfield of Los Angeles, USA. Despite living on opposite ends of the continent, and in different countries, these two entrepreneurs were able to collaborate on something unique that would serve voice professionals, in particular, voice actors and make it available online for download.

Recording is very easy and you can even edit files too.

iAudition editing screen

For those of you who use Voices.com, you can use iAudition to record your audition from anywhere! When you're done recording, simply email the audition to yourself. Once you get back to your computer, you can upload the file from your desktop when auditioning online via the marketplace.

Sound Good?

If you're interested in learning more about iAudition, both Marc and Mitchell will be joining me on a live webinar on November 24, 2010 at 1 p.m. EST to 2 p.m. EST.

Listen to the audio recording from the iAudition webinar now!

I hope you can make it!

Related Topics: apps, iAudition, iPhone, iTunes, Los Angeles, mobile auditioning, talent, voice overs

Wow, I've been looking at moving into a Droid or iPhone... this app may just have clinched the deal for me. I'll be on vacation next week but will see if I can join the webinar.

Thanks Stephanie!

Why would I record on my iPhone if I have to wait to send and submit using my computer?

• Jeffrey Babcock
      • November 19, 2010 5:21 PM

I think this looks great too, and have been playing with iAudition as well as with TwistedWave on my iPad. Where I've been running into a roadblock is at the step where I would like to then upload my audition to Voices.com from my iPad.

Since I'm doing the audition using a portable setup because I'm away from my computer, I'd like to get the audition in right away, rather than waiting until I'm back at my computer. So it seems to me that either I need to find an app that lets me see the file structure of my iPhone or iPad, so as to browse and upload it to Voices.com, or else I wonder if I can ftp it to a secure location at my web site, and then put that URL in the upload field at Voices.com, in order to send it.

Thanks for any help. Looking forward to the webinar this week.

This one has me worried... One step away from replacing the actual voice actor!

Thanks for commenting everyone :)

Be sure to ask your questions via the webinar on Wednesday. I trust that there will be some interesting ideas brought to the table in addition to answers. We're looking forward to hearing about what features you like as well as what you'd like to see iAudition do. This is your opportunity to give feedback to the creators of iAudition and let them know how you'd like to put their app to further use in your auditions online.

• Stephanie Ciccarelli
            • November 21, 2010 11:18 PM

Recording may be easy, but what's the sound quality like? I've tried recording apps on my android that are positively dreadful, and certainly not satisfactory enough quality for auditioning. I'd love to hear some feedback from users!

Hi Mara,

Thank you very much for your question. Were you able to catch the webinar? Marc and Mitchell answered this on the live call. They recognize that the microphone in the iPhone is quite good considering but is not the same as your setup in a home recording studio. They did mention a work around for those who are recording with an iPad to do with recording via a USB microphone. A great explanation was shared on how to do this properly and with which tools. The USB mic would work beautifully and the sound would be much better than using the internal microphone.

Returning to your question, the recording that is generated from the iPhone app is good enough for auditions (and actually sounds quite good) but to be clear, it is not designed for recording finished projects or to produce CD quality audio recordings.

Is there any similar one for Android?

• Albert Canil
                  • November 26, 2010 2:33 PM

Hi Albert,

So far as I know, there are other apps out there that fulfill similar purposes. I've heard of TwistedWave but have no firsthand knowledge of it and whether or not it is compatible with Android. What I do know is that iAudition will be Android compatible in an upcoming version.

I hope that helps!

The app itself is cool, but I'm not sure I understand how it works "in conjunction" with voices.com. If I have to email my audition file to myself, then wait until I get home to upload the file to voices, how is that auditioning "on the go??" And how is that working in conjunction with voices? If the app had an "upload to voices" button or something like that, great. But this is nothing more than a recording app. Auditions are time sensitive, especially on sites like voices. If there's no way to send in the audition when you are away from home, what's the point of recording it away from home? And therefore, what's the use of having this app?

Am I missing something here?

• Jeremy
                      • November 23, 2011 10:24 PM

Hi Jeremy,

There has been no cross development between Voices.com and iAudition as of yet. You are correct to say that there would need to be an upload mechanism to Voices.com from iAudition if this were to work using their application.

Our real world application of iAudition is to record remote breaks on our radio stations. The Droid app that has worked pretty well for us is Hi-Q MP3 Voice Recorder.

• Bobby Cook
                          • December 10, 2012 10:20 AM

Hi Stephanie!
                            I just switched from an iPhone to Galaxy S4 - do you know of an app like iaudition for android?

• Hope
                            • July 5, 2013 12:34 PM

Hi Hope,

Thanks for commenting!

Earlier this year we released an Android version of the Voices.com app. You can now audition for jobs through your Voices.com account using your Android device. All you need to do is download the app (free) to get started. The best part is that you can record custom auditions right from the app!

Check it out here:

If you have any questions about the app, please feel free to email support [at] voices.com, and one of our friendly Customer Care Representatives will be happy to guide you through it.

All the best,