Stop Doing That Voice!

November 24, 2010

Grandma kissing her annoyed grandson's cheekDo you have any annoying character voices in your repertory?

It isn't unusual for a voice over talent in-the-making to develop some character voices along the way based upon voices they hear around them or have created on their own.

Hear about one voice over professional and how a character voice she currently uses finds its roots in her childhood... and how she didn't even realize it!

That Voice Drives Me Nuts!

What happens when the voice you've created is based on a relative? What if the voice drives your family members crazy?

Voice talent Debbie Munro has a receptionist character on her website. The same character voice she uses for this receptionist also serves as the voice heard on her answering machine.

Little did Deb know, this voice has been brewing since childhood.

Whenever her mother calls and gets the answering machine, she hates leaving voice mails because she absolutely can't stand the voice Deb is using on her phone system. According to her mom, Deb has been doing this voice since she was a little girl. Mom couldn't stand it then and she still can't stand it now!

How About You?

What voices have you been doing for years that are now becoming useful to you? Additionally, are there any in particular that annoy your relatives?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

©iStockphoto.com/bravobravo

Related Topics: annoying voices, awards, character voices, child, Deb Munro, voice acting, voice talent

Comments

Haha! I've been doing weird voices since I was little. My evil teddy bear voice is the one that drives them all mad! My Lois Griffin from Family Guy freaks my family out too :D

• Ciara McConkey
    • November 25, 2010 9:41 AM

I have a slow Southern bumpkin voice I do which creeps out my son. (Oh, and, no..it is NOT my actual voice. lol!)

• Melba Sibrel
      • November 25, 2010 9:42 AM

I, too, have been doing impressions and voices since I was a little kid. First impression: Paul Lynde (but I'm dating myself). My wife absolutely hates one of my dirty old man voices. Everyone laughs when I do that voice, but Stacy would rather I not do that one around her.

• Scott Fortney
        • November 25, 2010 9:42 AM

That's my regular speaking voice!

• Elley-Ray Hennessey
          • November 25, 2010 10:45 AM

Yes! All my girlfriends get creeped out when I start in with my OLD LADY voice - it is very random, and one never knows when I might start a conversation in that voice! Haha! It drives them NUTS!

• Lisa Foster
            • November 25, 2010 10:46 AM

Yes. Quite often. I have several voices I do... it depends on the mood I'm in... my 15-year old son always cringes when I do them!

• Kristi Stewart
              • November 25, 2010 10:47 AM

Yes. My friends love my Christopher Walkin, but it drives my wife nuts. She knew she married a lot of voices, though, and likes most of them!

• TJ Jones
                • November 25, 2010 3:24 PM

My wife doesn't like me doing a posh English accent, says it sounds creepy.

• mr brierwood
                  • November 25, 2010 5:06 PM

Of my voices, I have a slow, 's'-slurring voice that elicits cries of "Stop that voice - It dirives me nuts" from both my wife and daughter. I usually reply with a simple "Yesh, Dear".

• Doug Jeffery
                    • November 25, 2010 5:11 PM

My wife is ok with all of my voices, but she can't stand my Tuvan throat singing. She says it is like nails on a chalkboard to her.

@Scott - is it the voice she hates, or the dirty persona? My wife gets annoyed when I do my voices at inappropriate times or make them say inappropriate things. For example, neither Michael Jackson nor Mickey Mouse should talk dirty to her.

• Jerome Santucci
                      • November 26, 2010 2:16 AM

Yes, I've done a voice for years and years that suddenly is useful in this wonderful age of the mp3. It's Mine, Mine! It even annoys my dear wife from time to time. Perfect! Howard Ellison

• Howard Ellison
                        • November 26, 2010 8:44 AM

Once in a while I'll come out with a cartoon character-type voice in a southern drawl. Or sometimes like someone from New Deli, India.