I Dream of VO

January 28, 2011

Woman resting in bed, white sheetsHave you ever had a dream about your work, gear or coaching sessions?

Many people from radio tend to dream (or have nightmares!) about being on-air but I wasn't sure if voice over people in general had these sort of reoccurring cinematic slumbers related to voice acting.

If you have, be sure to comment with your story!

Voice Over Dreams

Last night I dreamed that I was on my way to London, UK, for what purpose I haven't a clue. The trip was somewhat last minute and all I had with me in my luggage was a microphone without any cables.

Odd?

The dream pretty much ended after I realized that I'd need to go shopping once I got to my destination so I don't know what happened next.

Trying To Find Meaning

Why the dream? I don't usually dream about voice over or anything industry related. This got me wondering if it was because of something I ate.

Why London, UK? The dream could have been influenced by the people I interacted with that day, a few of those individuals being British voice talent hence the flight to London.

The microphone? I can only assume that it factored in because I reviewed dozens of pictures of talent accompanied by their microphones submitted to the Voices.com Photo Contest on Facebook.

What About You?

While not every dream has particular significance, I thought it would be interesting to ask you if you've ever dreamed of anything voice over related... have you?

Comment with your story!

©iStockphoto.com/wavebreakmedia

Related Topics: Dreams, industry, London UK, microphone, Microphones, radio, voice acting, voice overs

Comments

Funny you wrote this today.....I had a dream last night that I met you and David in person.....don't know why, but I did. :)

• Brian Whitaker
    • January 28, 2011 12:49 PM

When I watched the Film @ kings Speech, made me think of my First radio Show, and Experience of broadcasting.

back then King Bertie must of well been scared. It's a great Film to watch.

• Grant Moyes
      • January 28, 2011 12:50 PM

I've shared my radio nightmares that I still have with other ex-radio people, and many have said that they still have them. Dead air, loss of voice, and a boss who took all of the music out of the studio and left me with an open mic and nothing to say.

Funny that you bring up this subject, though, because just last night I had a dream about a new client; in the dream, she asked me to fly to LA to do some sessions in person, and I freaked out because of a fear of flying. I don't think I'd react that way in real life, but the dream bothered me. I guess when you live and breathe your business, it is sure to sneak into your dreams.

• Scott Fortney
        • January 28, 2011 12:51 PM

I'm a trained voice-actor, but wish that I had more time to pursue it. I've recorded a demo, but found it very difficult to get them into the right hands and even more difficult to follow up on them.

I actually read the date on my outro last Saturday on Reachout Radio as January 22nd 2001 instead of 2011. The engineer says "2001"? and all I could do was laugh out loud!

• Bob Brinthaupt
          • January 28, 2011 12:52 PM

I've had all the bad dreams... lost voice, can't say something no matter how hard I try, mixing desk not operating properly, but the worst is when I dream of being away from home and can't get back to home and the work I love. Seriously!

• Dan Friedman
            • January 28, 2011 12:52 PM

I have radio nightmares where my song is ending and I can't find anything (other songs) that are familiar to me..... I can't get anything cued up....and there's no spots, liners, etc. to play either. . . ahhh!

• Penny Galloway
              • January 28, 2011 12:53 PM

Hi Stephanie, interesting you are asking this. Yes, before my very first VO gig in Atlanta, GA many years ago, I was chosen to be the "fur voice" for the "Rich's Caravan of Furs" campaign. The night before the session I dreamt of walking into the studio, putting on the headphones, adjusting my copy on the stand and gave a flawless read. When I woke up and went to the studio--it was like deja vu. I had already been there in my mind. I was not nervous and gave a flawless read. Some may say this is envisioning yourself in the role. I say that my prayers were answered to be confident and be blessed to launch into this career. Dreams can come true and prayers can be answered.

• Rita Pardue
                • January 28, 2011 12:54 PM

Strange timing on this question....I've been so busy this week that I haven't had tome to do my pic for the iPad contest...I went to sleep last night with some ideas floating around in my brain and had a dream about what to do....the subconscious knows so much stuff!

• Peggy Tisone
                  • January 28, 2011 12:55 PM

I have them all the time...similar to the teacher dreams (late for class, can't find my classroom and I know students are waiting for me) every August...!

• Dan Deslaurier
                    • January 28, 2011 12:57 PM

Yes, I have dreams about voice over!

Just in the last week for more than one night in my sleep I was recording an audition and somewhere in my mind I was cognizant that I wasn't really at my mic. So it was continuous frustration of not wanting to let go of the recording I had just done, but how was I going to get it to my computer?! When I woke up it took a few seconds to realize it had been a dream.

I think this reflects my strong desire to move forward in this biz and my subconscious is trying very hard to help push me! Green apples, lots of water and now dreaming qualifies me to claim that I eat sleep and drink this stuff!

Last week I had the opportunity to audition for a big part in a really exciting animated film. I have been trying to keep myself distracted (mostly by taking funny pictures of myself for the "win an ipad" contest!!) and not let my thoughts wander in to "gosh, I wonder if I'll get the gig" land.

Anywho, a few nights after my audition I dreamt I was at the mall shopping and I walked passed a store that looked like a recording studio. When I popped my head inside the store/studio I realized that I had indeed wandered into a recording studio and the people inside were recording the movie I'm hoping to be a part of. So (in my dream) obviously I didn't get the part. A moment later (still dreaming) I spotted the casting director, he turned around and said, "hey Lisa! bummer you didn't get the part & you'll never guess who landed it!! I offered to the dude who cuts my grass, he was perfect for it!"

I woke up totally bummed and on the wrong side of the bed. It took me til my second cup of coffee to snap out of it !

; )

I never had a dream about my voice over work... but i would like. sometimes.

With 4 years in radio, radio play production and VO since then, I have dreamt of many many things and found significance in many things; but in all that time, I never dreamt of microphones or any of that kind of work.
                            I may be an exception. I have awoken with ideas about it but didn't dream about it as I recall.
                            Jay Beacham

Another thought, I've written about the funny and scary things that I've experienced on radio. And enjoyed listening to others' funny accounts and wished that I'd been more quick witted so I could have made some of those funny pranks into classics. Wouldn't it be fun to write a book with these things, dreams and other funny or unusual happenings in this business. Any one want to JV along these lines?
                              Jay

I used to dream in radio, now I dream in VO. I have a reoccurring dream that I am the voice of Judy Neutron - Jimmy Neutron's Mom, in fact I had it again - not to awful long ago! Is that show even on anymore?

In my dream I am speaking or reading to an audience and I can physically feel myself turning the page and hear myself speak as I read the words - it feels like I'm actually doing it and it lasts for ages but when I awake I don't remember what it was I was speaking about.

• Scott Mitchell
                                  • February 8, 2011 12:32 PM

I do all the time!

• Justin Tabernacki
                                    • February 8, 2011 12:33 PM

Well, one time I woke up in a hotel room and screamed b/c I thought my mic, stand & pop filter was someone standing @ the end of my bed. I made sure to move it to a different place in the room for the next night, lol.

• Heather Costa
                                      • February 8, 2011 12:33 PM

Most definitely yes! Take a look at "Six Degrees of Radio Separation," an FB page. We all do. Dream of dead air, crashed digital audio servers, but the best dreams are about a night on air at the best station you've ever worked for, complete with busy phones & music you love so much that you crank up some serious DBs. I've been looking for work for 13 months & I dream about it about 3x a week. I want to work again, more than anything else in the world. I'll move anywhere I can make a decent living.

• Jo Bussell
                                        • February 8, 2011 12:36 PM

A lot! So far, all of them have me in the booth with the director in my cans calmly stating " Good E. Ready for the next one? The only bad part of the dream is I wake up.

• Eric Espinosa