Don't Drop The Copy!

January 20, 2011

Nancy WolfsonWhile doing voice over isn't necessarily the easiest gig out there, keeping your eyes on the copy shouldn't be a difficult task... that being said, you'd be surprised by just how many people stray from the script!

In a recent podcast by Nancy Wolfson, she noted that voice over is an open book exam, and given that fact, why would someone risk their read by taking their eyes off the copy?

Take a listen for yourself and be a fly on the wall during one of Nancy's private voice over coaching sessions.

Keep Your Eyes on the Copy

Presented by Nancy Wolfson

When you're reading straight off the page, the potential for errors or slippage is greatly reduced. When you take your eyes off the copy or cover the script with your hand, boy oh boy are you in for it!

Gain some insight on why keeping your eyes on the copy is so important and a greater appreciation for how tightly connected your voice should be to the written word.

Download Keep Your Eyes on the Copy »

What Do You Think?

I'd love to hear your thoughts on what Nancy shared. You're also welcome to leave comments for Nancy! Be sure to comment here on the blog to join the conversation.

Related Topics: advice, coaching, copy, Nancy Wolfson, reading, teaching, voice acting, voice overs

Comments

There aren't enough "likes" to give this. Thank you Nancy! I don't know you personally but nearly everything I've seen or hear you do is spot on. As an engineer, author and VO talent myself, I can't tell you how much it makes me insane when other voice talent can't make it through more than a sentence or two at a time without multiple pickups and takes. Other than breaths and minor clean up, all performances should ideally be delivered with NO EDITING REQUIRED. Kudos to this voice talent for knowing and being able to admit the problem.

Great. Nancy's tough love in all it's glory - uncovering the obstacles we put in front of ourselves.

Nancy's the real deal!

• Lyle Scott
        • January 21, 2011 9:33 AM

Nancy is so unique...there were days when she almost tore me to pieces...and yet, that "fury" was totally motivated by her burning desire to see me grow. She *knew* there was something much better buried inside me, and she saw it as her job to boil it to the surface. That's the "extra mile" you get by studying with Nancy. Worth the pain, and dang sure worth the money. Studying with her has given me gobs of confidence in my abilities that I never had before.

• John McLain
          • January 21, 2011 9:34 AM

Like I say to all of the people I record, "Just read the copy!"

• Rick Marcil
            • January 21, 2011 9:34 AM

Nancy is great!

• Gary Spitzer
              • January 21, 2011 9:35 AM

Great!!! And now you will want to jump over to "Break Into Voiceover.com" to sign up for Nancy's next teleseminar
                (& mp3) on Feb 2 for a whole lot of value added to your voiceover skill set, career and aspirations.

• Lee Plaud
                • January 21, 2011 9:36 AM

I have loved working with @Nancy Wolfson! You will too - jump in the water is fine!

• Kelly Lefever
                  • January 21, 2011 9:36 AM

Woah... did Nancy tell this guy or what! Bold and nice of him to release the recording for others to hear, thanks, whoever you are!

• Jacob Ekström
                    • January 21, 2011 9:39 AM

I do radio and the worst thing you can do is sound like your reading. Even in comedy variety show like I do where improv is at it's best, you still at times have to be reading 1 sentence ahead of what your saying and keep pitch, tone and control and let it blend....I'm just saying! Maybe I should practice what I preach tonight eh!

• Jamie J Valle'e
                      • January 21, 2011 9:40 AM

I wish she had actually included the recording of his reading so hear for ourselves, but hey what she says is spot on.

• Phil Kennedy
                        • January 21, 2011 9:40 AM

She repeated herself so much but never expanded on it. Keep your eyes on the page, it says it all in the title. I would have been more interested to find out what she would have come up with had he not confessed his error. I sometimes stumble and would have loved to hear a variety of suggestions as to how to deal with it.

• Charlie Hayes
                          • January 25, 2011 11:47 AM

Excellent! I Don't take my eyes off the page ---- and I'm sure not going to try it---Ever. Thank you.

• Matilda Novak
                            • January 25, 2011 12:04 PM

I think that although I think Nancy gace the correct advice, I wish we would heard the person she was critquing so we could have a better idea on exactly what Nancy was coaching him on.. Plus, all she said to him (over & over) was, "don't take your eyes off the page"... good advice but is that not a basic "a no-brainer"?

• Eve Barrett-Drew
                              • January 25, 2011 2:28 PM

What the Lady says is, undoubtedly true, however. . . . .
                                If you're a major market talent, stuck in a small-to-mid-size market, you are often at the mercy of absolutely horrible copy writing! Why sound bad by reading sub-standard copy; bad grammar; punctuation and spelling errors?
                                I tend to select V/O clients who I know well, and know alot about their message. If I should happen to leave the copy momentarily, my brief ad-lib still delivers the message and maintains the emotion.
                                If I'm lucky enough to get a major market read. . . .yeah. . . .my "baby blues" are glued to the copy!

• John Dennis
                                • January 25, 2011 6:20 PM

Hi, Nancy
                                  O/C actors probably are the worst about falling into that habit. I do both and we face the issue of memorization day in and day out. The switch is sometimes difficult. We O/C talent sometimes want to somehow find the camera that's not there. Is that one of those right brain, left brain things? ;-) We forget that our face in on microphone, not camera.

But, really good advice for everybody.

Thanks, Michael Ray Davis

• Michael Ray
                                  • January 25, 2011 8:14 PM

Most radio and TV hosts and hostesses do the same and to call in and be rude to them to make a recommendation is uncalled for.

Many TV anchors and reporters suck air in an audible noisy way and even nice attempts to correct them have been fruitless, so why try? They still have the job and I do not. Nor Do they want coaching. Coach those who come to you and want it, not those who do not. It is not the VO talent's job to correct the whole world, just his or her self.

You are so smart. Good good advice, as usual. Love you. Carleen and Rosanne too.

• Carleen Wood