How To Take Care Of Your Voice

May 3, 2011

Female singer / voice talent holding a microphoneYour voice is an instrument that needs to be taken care of properly which means warming it up and maintaining your vocal apparatus. Think of your voice as a vehicle for the words just as your car is a literal means of getting around.

In order to get those words out and share them convincingly, vocal preparation, maintenance of the voice and overall health considerations are a must.

How do you keep your voice in tiptop shape?

Share your vocal warmup and care routines by commenting on today's VOX Daily!

Understanding Your Voice

Recognizing that your voice is indeed part of your body and your business is key to understanding and appreciating both its power and vulnerability. A couple of years ago, I gave a talk at PodCamp London (Canada) on the basics of caring for the voice in addition to tips for using it appropriately.

The use and care of the human voice (along with vocal behaviours and voice types) is a popular topic of discussion in our industry and I thought you might appreciate this curated posting dedicated to resources that have been posted at Voices.com.

Being able to use your voice effectively also means that you need to be able to breathe and manage your breath support well.

Warming Up The Voice

Quick Warmups that Work Wonders
Words to Warmup By!
How To Warm Up Your Voice Like You're an Athlete
Vocal Warmups and Tongue Twisters
Why Dr. Seuss Books Are Excellent Teachers
The Announcer's Test

Care Of The Voice

Doc, I've Got Sinus!
Cleaning the Instrument
Tips For Looking After Your Voice
Butt Out! Medical Reasons Why Voice Actors Should Stop Smoking
Vocal Health: Our Precious Gift!
Why (Vocal) Rest is Sometimes the Best Medicine
What To Do When You're Sick

Practicing

You might be wondering why practicing is so important? Practicing can be occur when speaking aloud or it could be something you do in your head. Just as an athlete visualizes how a play will go or how they will accomplish their goal, voice talent can also spend time silently interpreting copy or developing the nuance of a character inside their head without having to vocalize.

There are many benefits that come from employing different forms of practicing as each serves a different purpose.

Some common ways of practicing include:

๏ Reading copy aloud or repeating what you hear on commercials or the radio
๏ Analyzing what you hear (whether it's your own recorded voice or someone else's)
๏ Auditioning multiple times a day
๏ Mentally reviewing copy to observe markings for breaths, punctuation, inflection etc.

How Do You Get Your Vocal Engine Running?

I'd love to hear about what you do to keep in shape vocally and preserve your voice for the moments that matter.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

©iStockphoto.com/Jacob Wackerhausen

Related Topics: acting, care, Dr Seuss, German, how to, industry, Queen, radio, reading, talent, vocal health, voice, Voices.com, warmups, YouTube

Comments

I do several basic vocal warmups to get it started. I like to drink green tea more than water, so that's one way I take care of my voice =]

• Michelle Deco
    • May 18, 2011 5:36 PM

I start my warm up saying all the vowels as long as I can and as far as general care goes, no more needless screaming of any sort...

• Ryan Stephenson
      • May 18, 2011 5:37 PM

Yawn Sighs (starting with a big yawn, vocalize very high to low-- almost like sirens....), humming, scales on different vowels, tongue twisters, lip buzzing.... and lots of water... I also LOVE Black Elderberry extract. It's a must for anyone using their voice for singing and talking for extended periods!

• Erin Moore
        • May 18, 2011 5:37 PM

Start the day with no less than a quart of water. Throughout the day, I vocalize on vowels, some singing warmups, and lip buzzes. Oh... Because I live in Colorado where the humidity is usually VERY low (frequently less than 15%rh) I sleep with a vaporizer next to my bed, and have one in my studio that I run before sessions, and during editing - between reads.

• Dan Harder
          • May 18, 2011 5:38 PM

I have a bad cold that Really affected my voice. A friend recommended I try Elderberry Syrup and now I Swear by it. My voice is about 90% back!

• Evelyna Castro
            • May 18, 2011 5:38 PM

Elderberry syrup? Interesting. I'll have to remember that, next time I go to the health food store.

• Ed Weigle
              • May 18, 2011 5:44 PM

I find that a cold gives my voice a bit of something,....nice. All I do to prep, is read the scripts on the way to the studio. Get familiar with the material, and make sure I've remembered what the client wanted.

• Bill Hollis
                • May 18, 2011 5:44 PM

Lots and lots of water on hand always during the day, warm-ups before recording, mouth exercises and make sure I have no dairy before I record.

• Natalie Donegan