Just Voicing To Amuse Yourself?

November 17, 2011

Woman painting in an Impressionist styleFor some people, voice acting is merely a hobby. For others, its a passion that is being developed with each syllable spoken and exploration of their voice.

If you were to stop now, would you miss out on a career that's spoken of for centuries?

Find out more in today's Vox Daily.

Having Conviction

Earl Nightingale (d. 1989), personal development pioneer and radio legend, recorded programs starting in the early 1960s that still inspire people and help them to grow today. David has started listening to recordings of Nightingale's old broadcasts and happened to come across this wonderful anecdote relaying an exchange between a teacher and one of their pupils.

Teacher: I hope you're just dabbling in paint to amuse yourself.

Renoir: I'll stop painting when I stop being amused.

Impressionists Renoir, Cézanne, Degas, Monet and Manet formed a society because they were viewed as outcasts in painting circles at the time. When looking back at the period now, most would consider those painters to be the best of their era. The walls of Paris' Musée d'Orsay are lined with masterpieces featuring works of Impressionist painters and those who followed in their brushstrokes.

Finding Pleasure in Your Work

It may go without saying but doing work that you consider to be fun makes work less laborious.

As you can see, taking the road less traveled can also yield success as you step away from the crowd in your art if only to amuse yourself.

Overcoming Naysayers

Have you had an experience where you stood your ground and then later achieved success?

Add your story as a comment!

©iStockphoto.com/cstar55

Related Topics: radio

Comments

It was just the opposite with me. I was my own naysayer but my wonderful wife refused to let me quit. She supported me in this even when I wouldn't support myself. It was only through her endless encouragement that I was able to attain my dream. I miss her dearly.

For me it was quitting radio. I was only in the biz for a little over 10 years and my heart just wasn't in it anymore. But, as I'm sure many voice talent can attest, having a steady paycheque was always a relief. Like Bob, my wife supported me in giving it up. "If you're not happy, you have to get out." That's what I needed to jump full time into VO and now, I'm doing what I love everyday.

I do both. I try to make money doing voice over and want to do it. I also do it for fun with podcasts, fan dubs and audio plays.

• Steven C. Phillips
        • November 17, 2011 3:38 PM

I didn't get into this business because someone said I sounded good when they heard me chatting at a cocktail party. I got into it because I am an actor, and VO is acting by other means. Of course it helps that no one cares what kind of suit I am wearing when I'm doing the gig...

• Charles Kahlenberg
          • November 17, 2011 8:18 PM

Sir/Madam

Really your vox daily is a magnificent guide to the voice over
            artists who have passion for the job. Please continue to mail the
            guidance.

Thanks and regards,

Mahesh Seelvi
            India

• Mahesh Seelvi
            • November 18, 2011 10:59 AM

I am trying to juggle both, a full time day job to pay the bills and voice over work in the evenings for supplimental income. I have only been doing this seriously for 2 months.

I am looking forward to being able to do this full time.

• Mike Beaudry
              • November 25, 2011 11:38 AM

For the next 220 days, a hobby; then it becomes a career.

• Rich Brennan
                • December 14, 2011 10:47 AM

Career!

• Marcus Cameron
                  • December 14, 2011 10:47 AM

"a career as I would enjoy like a hobby" JMQ

• Jesus M-Quintal ‎
                    • December 14, 2011 10:48 AM

It's more like buying a lottery ticket 2 or 3 times a week.

• Mark Gizel
                      • December 14, 2011 10:48 AM

At the moment, it's neither....it's a talent that I have been blessed with, but I don't have the $$ or opportunities (due to lack of transportation & $$) to turn it into a career.....it's what I want to do for my career, though!

• Kareema Griest
                        • December 14, 2011 10:48 AM

After at least 10 years of encouragement and flat out "just do it" from about everyone I know, Im just beginning this process. I've been researching it for about a year and recently took steps to make it a lucrative hobby. I'm pretty excited and look forward to meeting others in the business and making trips to various events.

• William Maybray
                          • December 14, 2011 10:49 AM

Its a hobby for me for now.. however I would love to convert it into a part time job! Love following whats the latest in the world of VO... understand how people do it and stay successful and how I can contribute and make my identity in the world of VO as starting from scratch!

• Karan Bakshi