Applying Creativity In Unusual Ways

December 19, 2011

Woman singing into a ladle in front of a stove in her kitchen.Do you use your vocal, musical or audio production gifts in non-traditional ways?

No doubt you have seen a variety of different if not quirky ways that people express creativity.

Hear about what I do in today's VOX Daily and join the conversation by adding your amazing applications of creativity that help to jazz up the mundane.

Let Nothing Go To Waste!

If you're like me, you might strive to find ways to make physical things like clothing or food go a little further in your home, but what about your time?

How can we turn moments of monotony into delightful opportunities that creatively use our talent and skills?

What sort of things might someone do?

To give an example, I sings songs while cooking set in the key produced by the tone emanating from the fan above my stove top. That tone is designated as tonic and the key signature is derived, whether major or minor, from the fan's tone. Most often, the key I sing in when making dinner is B Flat Major but a tune in G Minor tune will be sung occasionally. More often than not, the song turns out to be an improvised vocalise.

Gravitating toward a nearby tonic seems to be a popular thing to do. One of my former classmates at the Faculty of Music let me know that she sings in the key of her hairdryer each morning as she prepares for her day! Someone else chimed in to say that the howling of neighborhood dogs usually sets the backdrop for her songs.

What Do You Do?

I would love to learn more about what our community here at Voices.com is up to!

Comment now and let us in on your unusual moments of creativity.

©iStockphoto.com/Donna Coleman

Comments

Stephanie,
    I thought I was the only one doing these crazy things. I notice the "tones" of things all the time. Hair dryers, fans etc. They all have their unique notes. I am not a skilled musician so I cannot identify the key or note, but that has never stopped me. I whistle to the "back up alarms" on trucks or use social settings with friends to do improv and announcing. It is fun stuff and keeps the mood light and joyful. Thanks for sharing this unusual truth.

Todd Felciano

Oh yes. I sing to the pitch of the vacuum cleaner, but I don't vacuum often enough. Otherwise I belt away in my kitchen whenever I'm alone.

Also, a constant at our house is reading stories aloud to one another. It's the best and most enjoyable voice work out we do.

• Jeany Snider
      • December 20, 2011 11:08 AM

Aha! Well, I thought I was crazy - and so did my wife soon after we met when I would break into song to complete the hoot of a passing train, or mimic the clatter of a boiling pan.

Forty years on, she still thinks I'm weird, but does see the connection with voicework. These things are no crazier than declaiming in Shakespearean tones from the side of a detergent packet, which all actors do. Don't they? Oh.

• Howard Ellison
        • December 20, 2011 12:59 PM

Funny Stuff! Being an musician myself I'm always hearing the Musicality of things, for example: While the neighbor across the street is blowing leaves... I've been known to run in the house, dash to the piano and hit a key..."Yes!.. it was a D-flat!".
          Or... like yesterday, talking with a friend, who installs signage. was missing the letter "R" for one of his projects... I couldn't resist breaking into "Talk like a Pirate day" for the next 20 minutes.
          Doing voices to break up the monotony has been a thing I do, ever since ... well,... ever since I could talk!

I like to entertain telemarketers with characters, men and women. My old man eventually tells them he doesn't remember why he called THEM.

• Vinnie Vinson
            • December 20, 2011 4:39 PM

Creating a cd for kids who must spend their holidays at Children's Hospitals. www.HolidayMagicCD'org

• Jeff Gelder
              • December 20, 2011 4:46 PM

I've mastered the art of ordering at a drive-thru. I say things slow and clear enough that they can hear everything I say, but fast enough that they don't interupt me with, "is that everything?". Fun game.

• Amanda Sellers
                • December 20, 2011 4:49 PM

I use character voices for my kids when I read their stories at night. I suppose most people do, but I will even use a different voice for the narration at times. My oldest daughter is actually getting sick of it and will sternly tell me she wants to hear the words in "your Daddy voice". lol

• Tony White
                  • December 20, 2011 4:52 PM

I like to confuse persistent telemarketers with very hard to understand accents

• Alice Khuu
                    • December 20, 2011 4:52 PM

Really, You are right . Not even a single moment be wasted. I have read this small article many times and can boast that I also do not waste my time. I do whatever i like in my spare time. I don't sit idle. That is why today i have developed some good skills in me. I am an author, screenwriter, poet and a film maker in addition to a voice actor. I enjoy life to the utmost.

mahesh seelvi