Website Maintenance Saturday November 9, 2013

November 8, 2013

ChecklistWebsite maintenance for Voices.com will take place from 10am EST to 2pm EST on Saturday November 9th, 2013.

You will be unable to login to your account between those times, may not be able to visit profiles or navigate through the search engine.

Additionally, you may not be able to access the Voices.com apps including those designed for iPhone, iPad, Android devices or BlackBerry.

That said, resources such as podcasts like Voice Over Experts and blogs such as VOX Daily will still be available to you.

Just what are we working on?

Click through to find out!

Maintenance Objectives

We'll be updating a payments module that will, in the near future, allow you to:

• More easily update and switch your methods of payment
  • Buy and bundle products and services such as ordering a book, a consultation and a membership
  • Pick between more flexible membership payment plans

Although we expect downtime to be minimal, we have factored in more time than necessary to ensure that all goes well.

The improvements being made to the website were scheduled to take place outside of regular business hours so as not to disrupt usage of the site at peak times.

We thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.

With warm regards,

Comments

Hey..

Did You send out a heads up on this???
    that I may have missed..

and if possible let me know of future updates..

figures I usually don't get on line Saturday am..figures..

thanks

• TROY T2T
    • November 9, 2013 10:11 AM

Not too worried about talents... maybe some of us will get out and see the sun, but was there notification sent to seekers who posted jobs - and private invitations - and won't be receiving auditions or replies.

• Dan
      • November 9, 2013 10:35 AM

No Matter What - It's got to be to be better than the ObamaCare Website :-)

• Rich Gomez
        • November 9, 2013 10:38 AM

Hi Troy,

Thank you for your comment. There was notice, albeit short. An announcement was made online yesterday.

For future reference, how far in advance would you appreciate notice of this kind? We provide information of this sort via the log in page, our blog, through social media and also also a message across the site. If people subscribe to the blog, they would have received an email notification.

Thank you again for sharing your question.

Hi Dan,

Thank you for your comment and question. Notification regarding site maintenance was made online via the site and also through Voices.com's Twitter and Facebook accounts. There were no formal notifications (i.e. a newsletter) sent via email regarding the maintenance, although if someone subscribes to our VOX Daily blog, they would have received this post in their email. I apologize that notice was not provided sooner and we will do better next time.

Would you say that giving notice a week in advance would be sufficient in terms of letting people know that there will be website maintenance? Also, by what means would you want to receive this information? Thank you again for sharing your thoughts.

Hi it's past 2pm eastern, will you be up soon?

• Will
              • November 9, 2013 2:46 PM

Yeah... a week would be more than adequate. I'm on daily auditioning, and didn't notice any notifications. Maybe something more noticeable in the "business areas" of the site so that in the process of auditioning it could not be missed?

Any word on when it'll be back up?

Hi Voices.com!

I don't want to be a Debbie Downer or a Nagging Nelly (but I guess I am!), and as frustrating as it is for us users it must be way more frustrating for those of you trying to get this wrapped up, But in the future, is there a way to schedule this kind of update/maintenance to the wee hours on a Sunday when fewer people are likely to try and access the system?

Just my two (frustrated) cents...

:-)

• OleBossy
                  • November 9, 2013 5:08 PM

Hi Will,

Thank you for commenting. I think we were in touch via Twitter a couple hours ago. I apologize for the delay. This process took longer than anticipated. The website was updated earlier to reflect 10am to 6pm EST.

I appreciate your patience and look forward, as you do, to the site being fully functional after the testing has been completed.

Take care,

Hi Dan,

Thank you for your comment and feedback and suggestion. I'm glad that a week would suffice. We'll be sure to do better next time :)

The site was updated earlier this afternoon to reflect a 10am to 6pm EST timeframe.

Take care,

Hi OleBossy,

Thank you for your comment and also for sharing your thoughts! We appreciate your empathy.

I hear you on the timeframe. We've never had site maintenance of this kind take place during waking hours when people may expect to use it. Thankfully this was a rare occurrence. We are making it company policy going forward to only do scheduled site maintenance in the middle of the night. We will also give one week's notice via system messaging on the site so that you can be well aware of when a site maintenance is scheduled to take place.

Thank you again for joining the conversation.

Thanks, Stephanie, for being so responsive and open to feedback.
                          That's what makes voices.com the best at what you do!

:-) Olebossy

• Olebossy
                          • November 9, 2013 5:40 PM

You're welcome, OleBossy :) For the record, the site went live at 5:54pm EST.

Thank you all again for your patience, conversation and suggestions.

Take care,

Hi Voices.com
                              Okay - It's 10pm Eastern Time - and - I still can't login - - - What's going on??? I read in one of your comments that you went live at 5:54pm EST - SO WHY AM I UNABLE TO LOGIN??? Please help - Thanks

• Rich Gomez
                              • November 9, 2013 10:06 PM

Hi Rich,

Thank you for your comment and question. I am sorry to hear that you could not login!

I've just logged in as you and didn't experience any difficulties. This was from a desktop computer. Could you please let me know what kind of device you were using when you could not login?

First off, I'd just like to say that from my experience you and the rest of the folks at voices.com are the most responsive and sensitive to the needs of talent of all of the subscription sites I've had the opportunity (and sometimes misfortune) of dealing with thus far. This was not to be the main point of my post, but is a long overdue acknowledgement and a sincere "thank you".

On to my maintenance observations... Are you aware that on the "My Account" page, the figure next to "Favorited" is now not correct? I believe the figure that's there now is coming from the number of feedback entries. Also, why does the "Profile Complete" statistic now say 80% instead of 100%? Did you add new parameters or is it just a bug?

Many thanks,
                                  Steve

• Steve Freedman
                                  • November 10, 2013 1:03 PM

Stephanie/Voices Crew:

A few things I've noticed about the recent changes:
                                    -- All the devices I log onto Voices.com with (computer, laptop, phone and tablet) have had their cookies cleared. In short, I've had to re-enter my username and password and tell each device to "Remember Me" at the login screen. Never had that happen after any previous maintenance sessions, but wanted to let you know.
                                    -- On my account screen, the number of "Favorites" I have is listing the number I have for the number of "Feedbacks". When I travel to my "Likes/Favorites" page, I can still see the correct number of "Favorites". Please look into this misrepresentation.
                                    -- On the "Likes/Favorties" page, the "Likes" are listed in "Job Posting" order but listed in descending order. Previously, the list was in ascending order... allowing talent to see their liked jobs at a glance rather than scroll through what may be a long list for some. Look into this sorting method, if you could.
                                    -- On my account screen, my "profile completion" (which stood at 100% before this maintenance session) now stands at 80%. I can't see the difference on my page. Was something changed? Was a value added to now reach 100% completion?

These have been the only glitches/changes I've seen that have affected my regular use on the site.

Thanks for reading,
                                    Lucas Schuneman

• Lucas Schuneman
                                    • November 11, 2013 1:29 AM

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your kind words! I'm grateful for your comment.

To answer your question, yes there were some unexpected bugs in the rollout. Profile Completeness has been fixed but it will require you to re-save in order to update the percentage complete.

I would have to check back with our developers on other fixes but if you were to login to edit your profile and then save it, you should see the Profile Completeness score corrected.

Hi Lucas,

Thank you for your comment and for sharing items that needed attention. To confirm, the Favorites/Likes are back to normal. To have your Profile Completeness score properly register, you'll need to log in, click to edit your page and then re-save the information.

So far as the cookies being cleared, this was done to block a potential security issue before it happened.

Thank you for your detailed reporting. We're grateful for it and are also pleased to confirm that these issues have been resolved.

Thanks for responding to my previous post, Stephanie.
                                          I've since fixed the profile completion percentage (that was a mistake on my end, not yours).

I have run across another glitch since my last posting, perhaps you're aware of this: when a job's deadline arrives and closes itself out, the job posting is changed to "Closed" but if the talent still has the job in their "Hiring Jobs" listings, the job remains on the list with the status still set to "Open". So it seems there needs to be a communication between closed jobs and their removal from the "Hiring Jobs" list.

Thanks, Stephanie!

• Lucas Schuneman
                                          • November 12, 2013 9:20 AM

Hi Lucas,

Thank you for your reply! I hope you're well today. We will be looking into what you noted. Thank you for your continued support and also for reporting irregularities. Every little bit helps!

Take care,